House on Swillington Common.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
volvojack

House on Swillington Common.

Post by volvojack »

While I was up in Leeds last week I passed a Shabby looking House on the left hand side of Selby Road half way down Swillington Common. It is an old run down looking place that could have been a shop at some time or even a small pub. Apologies if this property has been on before but it is interesting that the frontage has a bit of character to it. Does anyone know anything about it or what it used to be. the attached cottages behind it seem occupied.
It is situated on the left hand side od Selby Road going towards Garforth between the M.1. roundabout and the Old George roundabout

(At the moment I can't get the pictures on, will keep trying)

mhoulden

Re: House on Swillington Common.

Post by mhoulden »

The address I get for it is 1 Lowther Terrace. Looking at old-maps.co.uk, the place on the left used to be a smithy (it's obviously been refurbished but it has a very old looking lean-to). There's a planning application for an illuminated sign from 1981 so it was obviously a shop, but it doesn't give any details about what it was. The London Gazette has a notice for an Ellen Lawn who lived there in 1926 and who was executor of Sarah Ellen Clarke. It appears on an 1892 map so it's obviously been there for a long time. Leodis doesn't have many information (although it does have the old school across the road).

This is what I can find from my usual research places. I know it doesn't answer the question but it's tricky finding anything about it. Now that the ghost shop opposite Kirkstall Abbey has been turned into a house, maybe this could be a replacement?

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

When Swillington Farm had a major fire on Halloween night , several years ago, the Stanks appliance was the fist to arrive. We only carried a limited amount of water, so I ran all the way up to the hydrant at Lowther Terrace carrying a standpipe and two coils of hose. The hydrant was in the pavement on Selby road, unfortunately it was under a parked car. I think that was the night my hair started to turn grey. I think the frontage was a shop.

liits

Post by liits »

I'm sure I remember it as a shop [1970's], a Spar or possibly VG.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Took four pictures of this place on my mobile phone but none of them will transfer over unfortunately