A nice plaque on an old building near the Eastgate roundabout.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
volvojack

Re: A nice plaque on an old building near the Eastgate roundabout.

Post by volvojack »

dogduke wrote:The motor tax office was on the opposite
side of East gate,entrance from Union Street and u the stairs for a !long wait.
The Inland Revenue were in the same area.
The one time I was summoned to the Inland Revenue offices was many years ago when they were on the topfloor of the building opposite Lewiss's Woodhouse lane entrance, above Vallance and Davidsons electrical store. After an hour or so's grilling I left and went into the Horse and Trumpet where I downed three pints in very quick succession

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The scaffolding has finally been removed! :o

Passing by on October 18 2016 I noticed that the scaffolding is no longer there, though it still was only a week earlier, so these are 2 of the photos that I took. It may be just coincidence that the scaffold was removed shortly before the very nearby Victoria Gate centre was to open in two days but I do wonder if it was suddenly done to smarten up the appearance of the building.
PlaqueCloseUpOct182016.jpg
PlaqueCloseUpOct182016.jpg (108.32 KiB) Viewed 1908 times
DoorWithPlaqueOct182016.jpg
DoorWithPlaqueOct182016.jpg (119.64 KiB) Viewed 1908 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I had never noticed the building had such a nice carving.The various friendly socities such as The Oddfellows,Ancient Order of Foresters,Various Druid Friendly socities etc started out as quasi-masonic groups but most dropped the ceremonies and became financial instituations for their members.There are still some like the Royal Antidiluvian Order of Buffalos which I belonged to years ago ,that keep up ceremonies.
Incidentally the Passport office also used to be on Eastgate until closed with the rest and it is now at the back of my Office on Park Place.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!