Bunker in Bramley.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
pefkos1

Post by pefkos1 »

the bunker i was referring to is behind the sandford arms,it looks like a large grass verge but underneath there is a large bunker which has a hidden sealed entrance,the bunker on woodhouse moor is is opposite hyde park road another grass mound,but underneath another war bunker,i know someone that actually cleard it out before it was sealed up,the entrance is set a lot further back on the moor and looked like a built up manhole grate,if anyone could provide me with info on the eccup strategic planning bunker i would be grateful

OldBoy

Post by OldBoy »

I went into the so called bunker off Hyde Park Road and found it to be no such thing. It is merely a reservoir. There are pictures of it being dug on leodis.net. I wasn't aware of a bunker at eccup although I used to live there. Where abouts is it? Do you know about the one in Adel? It's easy to find but sealed shut.
www.jameslesterphotography.co.uk - Photography of hidden cities.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

There's countless shelters in Leeds. However the 'Leeds gentlemans exploration society' have only found one (possibly two) that may still be accessible (if a bit of ingenuity is involved)
Attachments
368907255_b238f99102.jpg
368907255_b238f99102.jpg (103.47 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I stuck my hand down the hole for this ropey picture. The shelter extends further through the doorway.
Attachments
368901592_385af6a4b8.jpg
368901592_385af6a4b8.jpg (66.15 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

pefkos1

Post by pefkos1 »

oldboy-the bunker i was referring to is not the underground reservoir that you mention,the bunker i described is at the other side od woodhouse moor,it runs parrallel to hyde park road,like isaid i know one of the people who cleared it out,removed beds etc,then sealed it up,look from the row of houses and you will see a large grass verge,your reservoir is behind the old library

munki

Post by munki »

There is a big grass verge down there which runs parallel to Hyde Park Road, well away from the reservoir...
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

LiL_Lewis

Post by LiL_Lewis »

Phil d, that piccy above is that from the bunkers near the abbey pub down from new road side horsforth jst over river, looks familiar 2 were i used 2 hang out. if it is i kno where sum better ones are along the canal wiv names ov people hu used them in the war carved on wall, you prob know them already tho.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Hi Lil lewis. No that bunker above is in North Leeds. I know why you thought you recognise it though. They all have the same type of brick & are nearly all are filled in. You thought this was the one down the river at Kirkstall yes? It looks very similar. The Abbey Horsforth shelter you talk about is it the one with all the tyres down?

LiL_Lewis

Post by LiL_Lewis »

Orite it just looked very much like one i went in, its been years since i went in the bunkers so the tyres mite have been put in afterwards, the two i remember were rite next to each other one with a big steel door on it, i beleive they were for the factory workers and were at the far end of where the buliding used to stand.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

mmm. Lil Lewis. There's 2 places i can think of that match your description. Are the metal doors near or under an old bridge or is it the place on Pollard lane you mean?