Former doorway under stanningley road?

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Gars28

Former doorway under stanningley road?

Post by Gars28 »

Towards the end of my walk this morning (see culverts and streams thread) I was walking next to the boundary wall between Gotts park and the stanningley road/Ridge Road junction near KFC I found what appears to be an old bricked up doorway. The ground level is much lower down on the park side of the wall to the road side and I was wondering what this door might have been and where it lead? I'm assuming some sort of storage from when the road was widened and tramlines installed in the 19th century but I may be wrong. There is a gap at the bottom of the doorway but it's too small to look in. I do have 2 pictures but they are too large to add to the post! Can anyone please help me attaching them? I had this problem with my stream post and it's frustrating as I have some photos to share.
Attachments
Approximate location from the street side of the wall
Approximate location from the street side of the wall
image.png (1.29 MiB) Viewed 2332 times

chemimike

Re: Former doorway under stanningley road?

Post by chemimike »

The OS map listed as 1960-72, but not the one 1955-56 or 1966-71 lists a public convenience at that point

Gars28

Post by Gars28 »

Thanks for the info, this doorway is however on the opposite side of the wall facing the golf course and there is no obvious way of getting to it from the road other than the entrance near the bus stop or the other one near the rose garden so I'm ruling out a public convenience, although I would love to know if there is any signs of the one in the map to be seen today? I will have to look

Gars28

Post by Gars28 »

I managed to trim the photo to see the doorway just the surrounding stonework is missing from the picture
Attachments
This is the doorway
This is the doorway
image.png (1.5 MiB) Viewed 2281 times

Gars28

Post by Gars28 »

A second photo showing more of the wall
Attachments
Another from further away
Another from further away
image.png (1.56 MiB) Viewed 2280 times