Cinema sizes and differences 70s-80s vs today comparing Odeon and ABC to VUE and Cineworld

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
blackprince

Re: Cinema sizes and differences 70s-80s vs today comparing Odeon and ABC to VUE and Cineworld

Post by blackprince »

You might think that we have a lot more choice of films nowadays in a multiplex compared with the old days. Thinking about it though when I lived in Harehills in the 50's we had 3 cinemas within walking distance and I could get to at least another 10 easily for the price of a 3d bus fare. Many cinemas like the Odeon were in chains and would all show the same film but there were some independents too. Managers of local cinemas must have had some discretion because they would often keep a film running for an extra few days if the demand was there.
All this meant you could probably choose to see any of at least 10 different films on a given day. I remember looking at listings in the YEP to find out which films were showing in which cinema. As I say I don't remember being deterred by having to travel into the city centre or to a cinema out in the sticks to see the film I wanted. Public transport was cheap and punctual. So we may have had as much choice back then but the screens weren't all under one roof.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

dogduke

Re: Cinema sizes and differences 70s-80s vs today comparing Odeon and ABC to VUE and Cineworld

Post by dogduke »

LCP 8pm.
Many will remember it from the newspaper ads.
Last complete performance is at .……?time.
Remember going in part way through a film and leaving when the part was showing again
from when you had gone in,or you could stay in and see it through to the end.
You might get turfed out if people could not get a seat and the usherette remembered you.
In those days you could have the main feature,a less well known film and if you are really lucky a cartoon.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

To follow on, not only were there a choice of cinemas to visit in the area that you lived in (mine Beeston there were five ) but after three days some cinemas changed the Movie and when Sunday opening began that that a "One night onlyy" film.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

j.c.d. wrote:To follow on, not only were there a choice of cinemas to visit in the area that you lived in (mine Beeston there were five ) but after three days some cinemas changed the Movie and when Sunday opening began that that a "One night only" film.

hyperioncantlogin

Post by hyperioncantlogin »

Just surprised that no one's mentioned Pearl & Dean a great British institution.

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

Heres a nice pic, number 90 Yorkshire Rider Nightrider bus outside ABC or Cannon Vicar Lane I believe, please correct if I'm wrong, not sure of the year.
Attachments
hpqscan0024.jpg
hpqscan0024.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 4243 times

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I'm not sure what we are "correcting" Billy. It can be seen as the Cannon (well OK C&A are missing) and it became the Cannon having been the ABC to 1986/7. The X reg bus was therfore at least 5 years old (Aug 1981-July 1982 registration). Apparently and I don't really remember it it then became briefly MGM 91-93 and back to ABC until closure around 2000
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

Cheers Tykebhoy, narrows the year down, wasn't absolutely sure it was the Vicar Lane Cannon.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Some pictures of the new ABC Film Centre appear in an old 1970 issue of Kinematograph Weekly featured here:

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/forums/showt ... ost2194558

MrPotts

Post by MrPotts »

Interestingly due to the decreasing price and increasing viability of digital projection equipment over analogue film there are a few single screen cinemas popping up in the UK, (Ilkley springs to mind, and even the pop-up cinema in Oakwood). Digital is also a lot more compact and lighter than 35mm gear, not to mention simpler to run logistically, so I wonder if we will start to see an increase in local single screeners... it would certainly be nice!