The Appleyard's garage on the Eastgate roundabout.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
MiggyBill

Re: The Appleyard's garage on the Eastgate roundabout.

Post by MiggyBill »

Cookridge wrote:
volvojack wrote:Hello Cookridge,
Next time you see Tony give him my regards.
He really turned the Bridgefield from a dump into a thriving Pub.
Jack Daly.

I have just retired from driving and so have put my Numbr plate up for sale J.8. D.L.Y.
As there are plenty of Paddys out there i dont think it will be long before i get an offer.
Hi Jack he was best mates with my uncle until 2004 when he passed away, perhaps you knew him through Tony? His name was Raymond Jones Regards Carl.
To Carl, sorry to hear about your uncle Raymond Jones, can I ask if it is the same Raymond Jones that has hundreds of comments on the Leodis site?

Cookridge

Post by Cookridge »

No Jack it is not the same Raymond Jones. Regards Carl.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

There was a lad who worked behind the Bar in the "Spring Close" just quite near Tommy Finnegans "Yew Tree" about thr time wre talking about with that or a very similar name.
Last edited by volvojack on Wed 06 Jun, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

By coincidence, in view of this thread coming back up, I took this photo on June 5 2018 of the old Appleyard's garage building. The large building being built on the right is the Leeds City College. The Arthur Louis Aaron V.C. statue is visible on the left.
EastgateRoundaboutLeedsCityCollegeConstructionOnRightJune052018..jpg
EastgateRoundaboutLeedsCityCollegeConstructionOnRightJune052018..jpg (110.74 KiB) Viewed 5511 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

I am ashamed to say that although i have lived a large part of my life in Leeds and did go into that garage for fuel at times i don't remember seeing that Statue dedicated to that brave Airman.Or maybe my memory is playing me tricks, either way it should have been relocated to North Leeds some years ago.What was a suitable site after W.W. 2 when that area was much quieter to Traffic is so different today.

jim

Post by jim »

I believe the statue is much more recent than you suppose Jack. Can't remember how recent, but cetainly within the last twenty-five years I think.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Jack I think the statue was only installed after the roundabout contents became "ornamental" so you wouldn't have noticed it refuelling. There is a campaign to have the statue relocated to Oakwood near the clock (not the cinema)
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

["tyke bhoy"]Jack I think the statue was only installed after the roundabout contents became "ornamental" so you wouldn't have noticed it refuelling. There is a campaign to have the statue relocated to Oakwood near the clock (not the cinema)

Thanks for that info tyke bhoy

Perhaps the Council should resite it before some Continetal Juggernaut comes around the roundabout the wrong way.

Wonder if you were old enough to go in The Clock Cinema without your Parents as it closed in early1976
Last edited by volvojack on Fri 08 Jun, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="jim"]I believe the statue is much more recent than you suppose Jack. Can't remember how recent, but cetainly within the last twenty-five years I think.
A pal of mine in Leeds just told me 2001.

Just read up on his exploits and although just the fact that he was awarded the V.C. would be more than enough when you read the full story he really was a Hero.