The Appleyard's garage on the Eastgate roundabout.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

The Appleyard's garage on the Eastgate roundabout.

Post by Leodian »

I'm trying to find out when the Appleyard's garage on the Eastgate roundabout closed but I have not been able to readily find out. Does anyone please know when it was?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

dogduke

Re: The Appleyard's garage on the Eastgate roundabout.

Post by dogduke »

It must be quite some time since it closed.
I
I used it sometimes,easy enough to get into but hell of ajob getting out again
due to all the traffic.
It probably closed through lack of custom because of the problem
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

There's a photo on Leodis taken in 1992 when it was still a petrol station: http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL. Then in 1998 there was a planning application to turn the "former petrol station" into a fountain: https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/onlin ... TKDJBXE831. It'll obviously be some time between the two, but I'm not sure exactly when.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Mid 1970s I pulled in to put petrol in my brand new shiny red Datsun 260 Estate car, from Fletchers , meadow Road £2,600 ( 2 weeks old) . I had just picked up a girl friend from Woodhouse on our First date. trying to make a good impression I had got out of the car and closed the door behind her. unfortunately I had not shut it properly and as I drove in to that Station the door flew open and her handbag flew out, she scraped her hand on the floor removing a fair bit of skin and the bag, which had been shiny black was now silver on one side after skidding on the gravel. later the evening went further downhill as she tried to eat her dinner with one hand roughly bandaged. there was mainly silence and I dropped her off home about 10 pm and that was the end of that "Fine Romance" That motor was a real "Puller" with the Reg. No. Y.T.V.2 and though I used that station quite often then I have no idea when it closed.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks all for your help :).

That it was in use as a Fina petrol station during at least 1992 but not during at least 1998 was a surprise to me, as I thought it had stopped being used as petrol station well before then (I might have tentatively suggested that it had closed by the early 1980s). The photo brought up through the Leodis photo link provided by mhoulden is a great photo showing an excellent view of the buildings then on both sides of Eastgate.

Having asked when the garage closed I now wonder when it was built? I assume it must surely now be a listed building.

PS. Sorry j.c.d. to hear of your unfortunate events but it did make me :). By the way I would guess that a car registration YTV2 might be of collectable valuable.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Hi Leodian, I bought that car reg. in Nottingham for £150 , it was advertised as being on a Hillman Minx but when i got there it had a tree growing through the floorboards and no roof so I decided to leave it there. I put the number on my new Datsun ( No Toyota's then) and when I called for petrol at the garage by the Viaduct on Kirkstall Road they had a list of cars Y.T.V. that belonged over the road at the studios. As United were a big name in the 70s the cameras were often there and if I pulled in at Elland Rd. the car always caused a stir. Years later I sold it to Tony Gratton who had the Bridgefield pub and later the Bramley Rugby club.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

j.c.d. wrote:Hi Leodian, I bought that car reg. in Nottingham for £150 , it was advertised as being on a Hillman Minx but when i got there it had a tree growing through the floorboards and no roof so I decided to leave it there. I put the number on my new Datsun ( No Toyota's then) and when I called for petrol at the garage by the Viaduct on Kirkstall Road they had a list of cars Y.T.V. that belonged over the road at the studios. As United were a big name in the 70s the cameras were often there and if I pulled in at Elland Rd. the car always caused a stir. Years later I sold it to Tony Gratton who had the Bridgefield pub and later the Bramley Rugby club.
P.s. If I had been asked when I thought that Garage closed I would have guessed about early 80s. at the latest. just shows how time plays tricks.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

j.c.d. wrote:Hi Leodian, I bought that car reg. in Nottingham for £150 , it was advertised as being on a Hillman Minx but when i got there it had a tree growing through the floorboards and no roof so I decided to leave it there. I put the number on my new Datsun ( No Toyota's then) and when I called for petrol at the garage by the Viaduct on Kirkstall Road they had a list of cars Y.T.V. that belonged over the road at the studios. As United were a big name in the 70s the cameras were often there and if I pulled in at Elland Rd. the car always caused a stir. Years later I sold it to Tony Gratton who had the Bridgefield pub and later the Bramley Rugby club.
Hi j.c.d. :).

I wonder who has that registration now?

PS. "United were a big name in the 70s" is true but alas not now!

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

I lost touch with Tony Gratton when I left Leeds so have no idea where that plate is now. I remember that when I asked in the Kirkstall Rd garage about the other Y.T.Vs they told me that they were owned by Alan Whicker who was a Celebrity at that time, guess he has shares in the Television station. I have a more modest one these days J. 8. DLY.on a Volvo

Happy Valley

Post by Happy Valley »

It was still open in 1994 because I used to use it when I lived in Leeds. There was a picture of that stupid mid 90s electric three wheeler thing on the roundabout heading back to Millgarth on Leeds back in the day a while ago. I think they only used them for traffic enforcement but it cracked me up every time I saw it around Leeds with the blue light on top.

Not many of those old Toyotas left now, especially in estate flavour. YTV 2 is on a Mercedes C180 AMG Sport now, and will be worth a fortune today.