Hilltop Works, Chapeltown, Leeds

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Brunel

Hilltop Works, Chapeltown, Leeds

Post by Brunel »

mark1978

Re: Hilltop Works, Chapeltown, Leeds

Post by mark1978 »

God knows why they think it's in Chapeltown. Buslingthorpe, dude!

As it's in a conservation area, hopefully they'll be required to retain more than just the wall and the chimney...

mark1978

Post by mark1978 »

Well, things seem to have gone quiet on this one. The documents here tell an interesting story:

https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/onlin ... descending

The developers have submitted proposals a couple of times and been knocked back, objections having come from the Civic Trust, the WY Archaeological Service and others. The second attempt proposed retaining (and probably rebuilding, due to the state they're in) the C18th cottages that face out on to Bus Lane. However, it still seems that it was felt they weren't doing enough to preserve the heritage of the area (and there were concerns about traffic impact) so it seems to be in limbo.

Mixed feelings if the developers have given up as a result - it's good to see the old buildings staying of course, but not if they're just going to be left to fall down of their own accord (or quite possibly get mysteriously torched). If the main block is in decent nick (which the survey suggests it is), I don't know why they can't convert that as part of the development, and sacrifice some of the more dilapidated outlying buildings if need be.

Incidentally, one of the documents in that list has some really interesting historical background on the site, and some internal photos that we wouldn't ordinarily see.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Passing by on Scott Hall Road on a bus today (Oct 5 2016) I noticed a large advert for a Scott Hall Park. I wondered what that was about so I looked up information and found this that I assume is related to the Hilltop Works area proposed development:- http://lsh.agencypilot.com/store/docume ... azw974.pdf
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

More and more shops and stores, i suppose the only "Park" will be in the name of the Centre.

Is that building supposed to be Costa.?

mark1978

Post by mark1978 »

Interesting, thanks!

No, this isn't the same site - it's next door, mainly on the old Sheepscar Tannery site that burnt down a few years ago, but extending right down to Penraevon Industrial Estate (top of Education Road and Jackson Road).

Appears it includes the old Peter Laycock building at the top of Jackson Road. Wonder if that's going to be saved?

mark1978

Post by mark1978 »

mark1978

Post by mark1978 »

Looks like there's been a bit of a development with the Hilltop Works site. Some new documents here:

https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/onlin ... descending

For those who haven't the stomach to wade through all the docs, basically the developers have submitted another proposal, slightly scaled down from the previous one, presumably to address traffic concerns. Unfortunately they're still proposing to flatten everything other than the chimney and the old cottages.

mark1978

Post by mark1978 »

Just in this morning: planning permission for the demolition of Hilltop Works and the building of apartments on the site has been refused. I suspected this was coming as things have been very quiet for over a year. The reasons given (on the LCC planning site) are as follows:

"the proposed development fails to provide the necessary obligations and contributions for:
The provision of affordable housing;
On site management for transport;
An undertaking relating to the public transport provision for future occupiers;
An undertaking that internal roads will not be offered for adoption following occupation of
the development;
Provision of Local Employment and Training opportunities; and
The necessary Travel Plan monitoring fee."

Mixed feelings really - I would have been sad to see the old mill building go, but what's going to happen to it now? It's semi-derelict and must be on the brink of falling down if nothing's done. At least if the plan had gone ahead those 18thC cottages on the roadside would have been brought back into use.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Leodian wrote:Passing by on Scott Hall Road on a bus today (Oct 5 2016) I noticed a large advert for a Scott Hall Park. I wondered what that was about so I looked up information and found this that I assume is related to the Hilltop Works area proposed development:- http://lsh.agencypilot.com/store/docume ... azw974.pdf
The advert for the Scott Hall Park was taken down a while back and so I assumed that the development was going ahead. However, passing by recently I noticed there is now an advert there stating that the site is for sale so I suspect that at least the Scott Hall Park project may not have gone ahead.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.