Post by Brunel »

Very little to see on the modern map.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=43 ... &A=Y&Z=106

The Parksider

Re: Foundry Mill at Seacroft

Post by The Parksider »

grumpytramp wrote:
The Parksider wrote:The pond could just be a fish pond,
According to the The West Yorkshire Archaeology Advisory Service's report for the Roundhay Park Conservation area
There was little industrial development in this area, apart from a bleachworks that had been established to the south of Wetherby Road by 1829, which stood adjacent to Wyke Beck, with a water channel and reservoir in the vicinity of Roundhay Grove
I guess that this pond is the obvious candidate. From what I remember the west bank of Wyke Beck are relatively high until you reach the vicinity of the pond. From what I understand the pond was filled during the construction of the adajcent housing estate (Elmete Drive, Elmete Walk & Elmete Close)

In the context of the OS map shown above (surveyed in 1847) and particularly the 1897 sheet (see http://maps.nls.uk/view/100946579 ) it looks like the pond had been incorporated in the landscaped grounds of Roundhay Grove?
Many thanks GT your access to pinpoint references to solve conundrums is brilliant. Here in Cookridge we have similar ponds by the Moseley Wood Beck connected to bleaching.

As we slowly move forward the Corn mill/foundry becomes the only reality.

Apart from the bloomeries from long ago. Water powered? or hand bellows. We may never know...

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Brunel wrote:Very little to see on the modern map.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=43 ... &A=Y&Z=106
And a thank you to you too sir!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

To complement the enlargement showing the pond in the NLS map that I posted on December 20 2015 I have added here a section from an 1893 map in the Old Maps UK (OMUK) website. It shows that pond but also marks a weir nearby on Wykebeck. I wonder which (if any) of the weirs it is that are mentioned in this thread? This weir is however not marked on a 1908 map in the OMUK website (nor is the close by Foot Bridge). I do think that the weir marked near Asket Hill is probably one of those mentioned in this thread.
OMUK1893PondWeir.jpg
OMUK1893PondWeir.jpg (119.28 KiB) Viewed 5315 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

We seem to be straying off the Foundry Mill at Seacroft topic.
The mill was on Foundry Mill Street, and the leat that supplied it only ran from Easterly Road to the mill.
Should we create a new topic 'Asket Hill' ?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

warringtonrhino wrote:We seem to be straying off the Foundry Mill at Seacroft topic.<br abp="1144">The mill was on Foundry Mill Street, and the leat that supplied it only ran from Easterly Road to the mill. <br abp="1145">Should we create a new topic 'Asket Hill' ?
Well sorry for trying to help but I thought my post may be related! Don't worry, I won't try to help in future!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

warringtonrhino wrote:We seem to be straying off the Foundry Mill at Seacroft topic.
The mill was on Foundry Mill Street, and the leat that supplied it only ran from Easterly Road to the mill.
I was interested in Industry along the Wyke Beck and getting some questions answered, I don't see any reason why there's not room on here for that WR. You've kindly answered a few queries of mine, and I do hope the thread has been of interest to others.

Thanks for your excellent research and for sharing it with us.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

This is the confluence of Wyke beck & Asket Hill beck, just to the South East of Easterly Road.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=53.8 ... 92/-1.4812

Wyke beck is the raging torrent.
Attachments
WYKE BECK.jpg
WYKE BECK.jpg (824.31 KiB) Viewed 5247 times

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

Leodian wrote:It may not be directly relevant to the thread but I thought this seemed a good thread to ask. I would like to know what is/was the linear feature towards the top left near and just right of the meandering Wykebeck? This map showing it is from a 1908 map in the Old Maps UK website. The feature is not marked on an 1891/93 map in that website but is marked on a 1921 and a 1933/34 map but not on a 1950/51 map.
OMUK1908.jpg
I have had a response from OS.
They do not retain surveyors notes so cannot give a reason for the 'embankment'
OS will not admit that they make mistakes, but this 'may have been one'
He also sent me a copy of 'Instructions to draftsmen and plan examiners' dated 1905 complete with examples of acceptable graphics.
Unfortunately its a pdf file and I don't think it can be posted?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

warringtonrhino wrote:We seem to be straying off the Foundry Mill at Seacroft topic.
We determined some time ago that the water for the mill was very unlikely and without some mechanical help, did not come from here. Maps show clearly mill ponds sitting between Foundry Lane ands Moresdale lane, with water running to these from the area of the old pond at Seacroft Hall This stream remained long after the pond was filled in, and was above ground as far down as the land where the ne Fire Station is built. The culvert into which it was then incorporated has been diverted to facilitate said building. In my memory it was also visible above ground in parts before again being contained by Ironwood approach.

A second feed was clearly identified as being from Ross Ghyll, which was interrupted on its journey from the Ring Road to Wyke Beck through what is now Park Land/ Green Space adjacent to Moresdale Lane for this purpose.