St Philip's Church, Middleton and an interesting tram journey

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
JanCee

Post by JanCee »

I

sulkycat

Post by sulkycat »

lovely anecdote!my family are all originally from the railways, some fabulous photos left from my nan & grandad, but darlington / crook areas not leeds so not relevant to this site (and heaven forbid anyone should be irrelevant on here!)they died in their 90s, and their stories were wonderful - yours from your dad made me smile, remembering my grandparents! (does this make any sense? i am tired!)

moggy

Post by moggy »

Hi jancee liked your dads anecdote,just to add to it, if i may, the tramway was indeed called the middleton light railway at that point (not to be confused with the colliery railway) a bonus being that the normal tramway speed limit could be exceeded as it was higher for light railways my old fella said those bluebirds "nearly bloody took off", going through the woods!!!!

simong

Post by simong »

Leeds Bluebird 301 is preserved at Crich, but I think in London colours now. Crich has a couple of cars in the gorgeous Leeds purple, which was so rare in the UK.

Barwicker

Post by Barwicker »

Tram No 301 was not originally a Leeds tram having been built for London County Council in 1932. The trams used on the Middleton Route were numbered 255 to 271, designed in Leeds but built by Brush and English Electric. They were known as "Middleton Bogies"