World famous Leeds Brick collectors club

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
The Parksider

Re: World famous Leeds Brick collectors club

Post by The Parksider »

Leodian wrote:Hoping that a quick wander off-topic is OK. I now wonder who made the bricks?
Get yourself up scotland lane to Dean head.

The old cafe has now been pulled down except for the front stone column entrance (click - piccy) and the brick building has been dismantled and 7,200 old bricks are in the back garden (click)

These are being reused.

The bricks are all marked BWS - Benjamin Whittaker and sons, made at Pool Bank or Hawksworth (Horsforth Brickworks)

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Here's a view of the centre of the Leeds brickmaking world, the Hol beck valley.

Home to the oldest known (Joseph Towler) on Holbeck moor, and the biggest (Whittakers) at 102 Elland Road, Jabez Wooley produced bricks at Baron Close/147 Elland Road excavating a whole hillside of clay until it had gone.

He then abandoned the site to rubbish tippers, and bought the Bramley Brick Company.

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 6_82996768

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Benjamin Whittaker & sons ran a quarry and brickworks at Pool - Bricks marked B W & S through to Whittaker Leeds. Here's an accident report at Pool from the fine web site on Pool Station

Horace Waugh, a bright, laughing schoolboy, living at the pretty little village of Pool the 12 year old son of a stone mason, named Emmanuel Waugh, was yesterday afternoon the victim of a sad accident. Waugh is employed at Messrs. Whitaker’s yard, immediately opposite Pool station, where he has charge of a stone-planing machine, which is worked by a portable engine. His son visited his father and apparently accidentally lent on the machine and was caught up in the great cog wheel, badly injuring him.

A messenger who went to Arthington Station to obtain the help of the ambulance corps, was fortunate enough to meet a porter going from his work, who has been through a course of ambulance instruction. The Arthington Station Master with two porters, came upon a pilot engine with ambulance appliances with which little Waugh’s injuries were properly bandaged.

The boy was then removed to the station and attended to in the waiting-room until the arrival of the 6.30 train, in which he was conveyed to Leeds where he was taken to the Infirmary. His injuries, however, were of such a nature that he could not be expected to recover and he died about 7 this morning.”

No machine guarding then

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

rikj wrote:There is a large pile of recently excavated bricks on land near the junction of Royal Park Road and Queens Road in Hyde Park. As long as I can remember it has been a scrap car lot, or just waste ground. Has just been cleared and leveled.

On the 1894 OS map it is marked as a brick works, with what could be a clay pit on site. The buildings in the brick works look to have been on the site of what is now the Royal Park pub.
Hi Rick,

They are still churning up the bricks at the Cardigan Brickworks site of Johnson and Wroe. Bricks marked J & W.

Checked by Saturday and saw an old brick in early to mid Victorian lettering marked O & L.

I managed to get my hands on it. I don't think many of the bricks are from out of Leeds, yet I can't trace who on earth O & L were unless they previously owned the cardigan Works or somewhere else.

If any genius gazeteers on here come across the likely company in their directories I;d be most grateful!

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Looking for the picture of the Horsforth Brickworks on Leodis, I could not find it so I contacted the Library who run the site. The kind lady suggested broaden the search.

In the end I tried "Hawksworth" and found it titled "Whittaker's Factory"

No criticism here it's great to have Leodis full stop, but if you can't find something or are looking for somewhere do not give up if the obvious name doesn't bring anything up, broaden the search and enjoy the ride.

Some great shots of Hawksworth Quarry

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

I couldn't find the picture of the shafton lane claypit headgear on Leodis the other week when I wanted to buy a copy, No search words brought it up, but I did find it on here when it was kindly posted the other year.

So I got my copy and thought I'd search for it on Leodis using it's exact title i.e. "Shafton lane" and "claypit" no results found!!

Anyway back to the brick collecting craze cruelly ridiculed by the BBC the other week. It's OK to do many dumb things as long as they are fashionable, such is life.....

On Osmondthorpe Lane at the top stands a long Victorian Terrace I assume housed coal miners and ironworkers amongst others. A garden wall has kindly collapsed (no I didn't do it) to reveal some nice examples of the wares of the "City Brick Company" whose works cn still be traced with the odd original building on Harehills lane.

I think I've just about found every example of a Leeds brick companies named product now, but I will check. Obviously got nowt better to do....

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

An extension in construction on the Gledhow private estate on Lidgett lane uncovers a large pile of RRB & Co. Bricks from the works of the Rock Red Brick company on Stoney Rock Lane!!

liits

Post by liits »

Sorry to go "off topic" but seeing as how we don't have a search facility........
I was reading something recently about Gormley's Brick Man. Other than it being brick, I can only recall reading one article about it's construction and I'm sure I remember that it was to use reclaimed bricks. Can anybody confirm this?

snowman1

Post by snowman1 »

hi all
any info please
half round stamped city hl
regardsm1

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

according to the 1898 trade directory, the City Brickworks was at Nowell Lane in Harehills