Ballroom Blitz

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

I love the technology and living standards of today, but prefer the laid back easy going times of the 50's and 60's.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Heres an early postcard advertising the Scala Theatre, Yorkshires Wonder Cinema
Attachments
Scala Theatre.JPG
Scala Theatre.JPG (0 Bytes) Viewed 3557 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

buffaloskinner wrote: Heres an early postcard advertising the Scala Theatre, Yorkshires Wonder Cinema That's a fascinating postcard buffaloskinner . I'm curious though that it seems to state that the Scala is on Briggate. Though I should recall it, as I do other cinemas/theatres in the centre of Leeds, I have no recollection of the Scala. I will almost certainly have never gone in it. My recollection of much of 'lost' Leeds is rubbish!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Leodian wrote: buffaloskinner wrote: Heres an early postcard advertising the Scala Theatre, Yorkshires Wonder Cinema That's a fascinating postcard buffaloskinner . I'm curious though that it seems to state that the Scala is on Briggate.! Strange indeed, but it probably helped strangers more than the correct "Albion Place" would - anyway we 'aint going to argue over 100 yards are we eh ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

BLAKEY wrote: Leodian wrote: buffaloskinner wrote: Heres an early postcard advertising the Scala Theatre, Yorkshires Wonder Cinema That's a fascinating postcard buffaloskinner . I'm curious though that it seems to state that the Scala is on Briggate.! Strange indeed, but it probably helped strangers more than the correct "Albion Place" would - anyway we 'aint going to argue over 100 yards are we eh ?? Hi Blakey. Talking of Albion Place, I still sometimes get that confused with Albion Street. Just like that part of Kirkgate that runs from Vicar Lane to Briggate which I only realised a couple of years or so back was not the start of Commercial Street. I just hope nobody asks me for directions in the centre of Leeds as heaven knows where I might send them!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

A bit like Merrion St. which runs from the Merrion centre down to Briggate and then becomes very narrow down to Vicar Lane. on there used to be a fish shop on the left hand side owned by a Jewish lad Mick Christie who was the father of Jeff Christie of "Yellow River" hit record fame. fabulous fish and chips with a free Gerkin. everyone knows Merrion Street as far down as the Wrens pub. Merrion place is also tucked away behind the Chest Clinic not so well known I would think.    

barnie

Post by barnie »

It had a most beautiful staircase and a very lovely old fashioned lift, wonder if they are still there, maybe you can find out. Regards.The lift was still there in the 90s. You exited Miss Selfridge via the back stairs and these wound around the lovely old lift. Is anyone brave enough to nip into Miss Selfridge and ask them for a peek 'in the back'? I reckon it must still be there, or the stair case at least.    

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

I didn't know there was a ballroom there, but I remember going to the cinema. IIRC in the fifties the Scala always showed the same film as the Majestic, they used to be billed in the paper as "Scala and Majestic"

edgey2001

Re: Ballroom Blitz

Post by edgey2001 »

Steve Jones

Re: Ballroom Blitz

Post by Steve Jones »

Thanks for that edgey,sorry to read that most of the furnishings are gone.mind you as it is the YEP reporting I wouldn't bet on it :lol:
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!