Thorpe Lane

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
UncleD

Post by UncleD »

Can anyone help me with an old map of middleton showing thorpe lane where the bus terminus is? im trying to find out how old a house is as there are supposed to be some history linked to it but all just hear say at the minute , would appreciate any help.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

UncleD wrote: Can anyone help me with an old map of middleton showing thorpe lane where the bus terminus is? im trying to find out how old a house is as there are supposed to be some history linked to it but all just hear say at the minute , would appreciate any help. Hello UncleD have you tried the Leeds Tithe Map/ Tracks in time.It has Tithe maps from the 1830s/1840s as well as OS maps from 1890 and 1910 and the moden day.http://www.tracksintime.wyjs.org.uk/All you need to do is go to the search Tithe Map Digital Resource option, then on this page select Middleteon/Rothwell from the "Jump Directly To A Specific Township" drop down option.You then have a modern map on the right and the tithe map on the left.Move either map around they will both move in tandem so that the view in each window shows the same location on the different maps.You can then select, in both windows, the option of the 1890 or 1910 OS maps as well as modern map and earth view images so you can zero in on the location you want
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

UncleD wrote: Can anyone help me with an old map of middleton showing thorpe lane where the bus terminus is? im trying to find out how old a house is as there are supposed to be some history linked to it but all just hear say at the minute , would appreciate any help. I think this is the location you're looking for. Click & drag the map to move aroundhttp://tinyurl.com/oybsozx

UncleD

Post by UncleD »

UncleD

Post by UncleD »

sorry I didn't refresh before I posted , yes that's the one I shall gettin lookin into that thanks very much

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

To fill in, here is OS map for c 1854
Attachments
map c 1854 junc. thorpe lane and what is now middleton park av..jpg
map c 1854 junc. thorpe lane and what is now middleton park av..jpg (56.89 KiB) Viewed 2858 times

UncleD

Post by UncleD »

thats brilliant , the house is now split into two its my friends mum and dad who have recently bought it I think they thought it only went back to 1878 but as you've posted it quite clearly shows a building there earlier than that by about 25 years. on leodis it says - This is Bleachground engine chimney for Middleton little coal pit according to by gone Middleton by E Docherty. It was struck by lightening in 1921. would the houses have been part of the mining or may it have been someone was unfortunate to have a huge chimney built next to their already standing house?
Attachments
House Thorpe 1914.jpg
House Thorpe 1914.jpg (49.9 KiB) Viewed 2858 times

barnie

Post by barnie »

Have tried looking on a current street view for these but can't seem to be able to find them. What do the houses look like nowadays UncleD?

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

barnie wrote: Have tried looking on a current street view for these but can't seem to be able to find them. What do the houses look like nowadays UncleD? barnie. I would think it would be these until we wait for UncleD's confirmationhttp://goo.gl/maps/Ml6Rw    
Attachments
Thorpe Lane.jpg
Thorpe Lane.jpg (114.37 KiB) Viewed 2858 times

UncleD

Post by UncleD »

yes that's bang on there that's them, they have the one on the left and the part of the house immediately to the left of the door (closest to garage) is a add on from the previous owner. the guy next door said they were originally a one up one down house which then had the back extended which you can see the change in brick colour in the leodis photo but any other information seems elusive , there has even been tunnels mentioned but seems more likely they are mistaken for the shafts linked to the pit