The Best Building in Leeds

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
itsmehere

Post by itsmehere »

How can anyone walk around Leeds and not notice St Pauls House in Park Square? Surely one of the most unusual gothic buildings in our great City!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

itsmehere wrote: How can anyone walk around Leeds and not notice St Pauls House in Park Square? Surely one of the most unusual gothic buildings in our great City! With out being pedantic, I always thought it was Moorish in style? When I worked there there would always be a lot of Asian students that would come and take photo's of the building, telling me that it was very much like mosque architecture with the minarets and the stylised tiling. - So many came in fact the lady on reception had made some leaflets detailind the history of the building that she used to run out and give to people!p.s. - apologies for my spelling!

bigpants

Post by bigpants »

gilbert scott building of LGI. simply stunning gothic revival architecture and at the time the cutting edge of technology.

xx3xxx

Post by xx3xxx »

[IMG]http://www.pbase.com/hklocaleducation/image/49712841[/IMG]full story download linkhttp://www.sendspace.com/file/gszr0l [ at the bottom - 3005.doc ]http://www.sendspace.com/file/gk6hxx [ JPG only ]How does the LEEDS UNIVERSITY knowingly UNFAIR to the students -- same single room hall fees , but the size....Let us see how university staff deprive from student..see how the ROOM given you    measure up !!YOUTUBE:http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=EcfUfJ1NF ... Nzosplease    C O M M E N T

chamusdarrach

Post by chamusdarrach »

Sorry, but what was that last post by xx3xxx about???Is it caveman me being thick, but I just can't understand what he/she is talking about.On the subject of Leeds buildings, I must admit that I do like Bridgewater Place, to me it symbolises a bright new Leeds, unlike Bradford, with it's city centre crater (he he he !!!) !
The Health and Safey Executive." Striving to take the fun and enjoyment of life away from us all "

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

Is this thread only for the exterior of buildings because i think there must be lots of buildings that are just average outside but fabulous inside. Even if only for their history. City varieties for instance. Who'd even notice it was there but its lovely inside.What do you think Munki, does this belong on a different thread?And I agree, what the hell was that weird student message all about?    

chamusdarrach

Post by chamusdarrach »

What about starting a thread for the worst building in Leeds, I bet that some of the buildings mentioned so far would feature, (e.g. those built in the 1970's).For this I would nominate the Clarendon Wing at Leeds General Infirmary, for purely selfish reasons, as that is where my baby boy died.any other nominations??
The Health and Safey Executive." Striving to take the fun and enjoyment of life away from us all "

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

Chamus, I was just thinking exactly the same thing. Do you want the honour or shall I?

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

bigpants wrote: gilbert scott building of LGI. simply stunning gothic revival architecture and at the time the cutting edge of technology. There used to be a bank on Cookridge Street - I think it was either Williams Deacons (now Bank of Scotland I think) or National Provincial (Now NatWest/Royal Bank) and it was brick built but classic Victorian Gothic - it was pulled down in the sixties.As I've already said on another thread my favourite building is the one on the apex where Leeds Bridge ends and Hunslet Road and Meadow Lane fork. Opposite the Adelphi. When I was a kid I always thought it looked like a Leeds tram!
Industria Omnia Vincit

chamusdarrach

Post by chamusdarrach »

Hi Carrotol, as I am just a newbie, and a Luddite when it comes to computer technology, I will let you have the honours of creating a new thread, cos I will just mess it up!!!!