lost loo's of leeds.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

There used to be some toilets on Lamb Hill about 50 yards from Sammy Ledgards Garage.Seem to remember there was only a Gent's Toilet.Did all Public Toilets have Mens/Ladies?
"always expect the unexpected"

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Leeds-lad wrote: There used to be some toilets on Lamb Hill about 50 yards from Sammy Ledgards Garage.Seem to remember there was only a Gent's Toilet.Did all Public Toilets have Mens/Ladies? The Gents loo, just below the top of Lamb Hill, was built by Leeds City Tramways, and originally was beneath a tram shelter on Armley Road !! (See "Leodis" for picture.) I think there were far more Gents loos in the City than Ladies - can't imagine the brilliant mathematical calculation behind this - I wonder what they expected the porr lasses to do ??    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

BLAKEY wrote: Leeds-lad wrote: There used to be some toilets on Lamb Hill about 50 yards from Sammy Ledgards Garage.Seem to remember there was only a Gent's Toilet.Did all Public Toilets have Mens/Ladies? The Gents loo, just below the top of Lamb Hill, was built by Leeds City Tramways, and originally was beneath a tram shelter on Armley Road !! (See "Leodis" for picture.) I think there were far more Gents loos in the City than Ladies - can't imagine the brilliant mathematical calculation behind this - I wonder what they expected the porr lasses to do ??     Hi BLAKEY in the old days thats up to late fiftys Ladies did not go in pubs that much it was looked on as not the done thing I remember they used to go to the outsales with a jug for a jill and cover it up with a cloth to take it home.At that time i dont recall any Ladies toilets i suppose they thought they did not need them they probably thought the should be at home looking after the kids and getting the dinner ready Things have changed for the better i think. Ps i am not talking about the city center.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

graynut wrote: I remember seeing that wooden propeller stuck in the ground in a fenced off copse near 1/4 mile passage between Oakwood Lane and Roundhay Park when I was a young lad. I seem to recall being told that a test pilot working with the Blackburn airplane manufacturing premises on Roundhay Road (the site of the present Tesco supermarket) crashed whilst on a test flight.Many years later I saw what appeared to be the same propeller mounted on the wall of a pub off Duncan Street in Leeds. ASK 'ARRY...WE DID THIS SOME TIME AGO...HAWKER HART WAS WHAT I STARTED WITH...NO IDEA WHERE WE ENDED UP...
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

eastendpk

Post by eastendpk »

"The Pavillion" on Beckett Park had public loos. It was situated next to the tennis courts facing Batcliffe Drive. It also had the park-keepers sheds to the rear where they would spend many an hour drinking tea and cleaning their lawn mowers. There are pictures of it on Leodis.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

arry awk wrote: Reading from down the 'pan', t'could be likened to'Wiggy's in brackets' Go on! Smile, and forget that Adnam'sBitter! By the way Wiggs, is Benskin's Brewery still in existence?Drank a lot of their bitter in Saffron Walden in the 50's! Benskin's Watford Brewery Ltd: Cannon Brewery, 194 High Street, WatfordFounded by 1722 by John Pope at New Street. Moved by his great-grandson, John Dyson to 194 High Street in about 1820. Bought by Joseph Benskin in 1867 with 42 public houses for £34,000. Registered in July 1894. Acquired by Ind Coope Ltd in 1957, and brewing ceased in 1972 with 636 tied houses. The brewery buildings were demolished in 1978, but the offices were converted into the Watford Museum.Reference:A Century of British Brewers Plus - 1890 to 2004. Brewery History Society, 2005.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

DrapesySorry for delay in replying but, having read yourvery interesting info on Benskin's Brewery,I triedto post a reply several times but I kept getting a longwait followed by 'This page cannot be opened'!I think the SL website was having a sort out!(agen!)Anywaymate,thanks again for taking the troubleto check the brewery history back! Funny,I always thoughtBenskins was in Essex or south Suffolk!I hope Wiggy read your info too as it was him Iasked if they were still brewing in Chav country!(Didn't mean, it you Essex wallahs!) Had some goodtimes in Saffron Walden in the Mob!Sorry Wiggy,Can't remember the Hawker Hart episodebut will try and trawl back a mumf or three!Don't buildyour hopes up!Cheers both!arry

weeman

Post by weeman »

how come the crossgates toilet were demolished? didnt somebody get shot in there or something or am i getting mixed up with somewhere else?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

weeman wrote: how come the crossgates toilet were demolished? didnt somebody get shot in there or something or am i getting mixed up with somewhere else? More vandalism and antisocial behaviour than the intended use brought about their demise.

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

chameleon wrote: weeman wrote: how come the crossgates toilet were demolished? didnt somebody get shot in there or something or am i getting mixed up with somewhere else? More vandalism and antisocial behaviour than the intended use brought about their demise. Same goes for the toilets in Pudsey they keep doing repairs then they are wrecked again.They are going to move them to the sports centre when finished they will be a seperate unit the entrance will be from the ouside of the sports centre lets hope this stops the damage, of course if they are not policed it will still go on.