lost loo's of leeds.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Si wrote: I believe the 109 could go into a dive quicker than a Spit or Hurricane, because it had fuel injection instead of carbs. If you rammed the stick forward in our planes, the engine would suffer temporary fuel starvation, so you had to roll the aircraft into a dive. However, this also meant negetive G was avoided. The Daimler engine in the 109 also had a more advanced supercharger than the Merlin....or so I'm told!Sorry...bit off thread.     i thought it was in the climb...as for super charger rivalry,i thought that was the mercs was better than the bentley blower...but then i would be really off topic and get a damn good verbal thrashing from the usual sources!!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Si

Post by Si »

No, the Merlin blower was two stage, but the Daimler one was fully adjustable. Quick - back on thread - there are lost loos under Otley market place - phew!

Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

The best long range fighter with drop tanks wiggy was the Mustang same engine different country. That was always the Spitfires shortcoming its lack of range. They tried a tank on one wing leading edge in operation sunrise but the maneuverability was so bad they scraped that idea and settled for a slipper tank between the undercart and molded to the fuselage. Anyway enough of hijacking this thread check the transport thread for my post for Arry Awk and continue it there.l    

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

Yorkshireranger wrote: Remember as a child going to school on Low Road Hunslet, toilets were situated at the junction of Low Road/Pepper Road, the horse trough outside the toilets is still there (it was yesterday) Pepper road probably no longer exists today, its where the "Rochefords "are today Pepper Road is still there, it's just a lot shorter now.

Bunk3r

Post by Bunk3r »

on the remains west of kirkstall abbey (within the grounds) on the north most part where is still built up with two towers with drainage channels below (now dry) (ie here: http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.82154 ... =0&src=msl ), when we use to play on these my parents always said these were the monks old toilets, any truth in that?

Si

Post by Si »

Possibly, but don't know for sure. Can't find my old guide book!However, that building was originally thought to be the Abbey's Mill, but is more likely to be the guest house. If the channels had a fresh supply of running water in them, they could have been loos. There would have been wooden seats above, with holes in them for obvious reasons. The monks loos at Fountains are actually over the River Skell.    

skippy

Post by skippy »

Yorkshireranger wrote: Remember as a child going to school on Low Road Hunslet, toilets were situated at the junction of Low Road/Pepper Road, the horse trough outside the toilets is still there (it was yesterday) Pepper road probably no longer exists today, its where the "Rochefords "are today hi there i lived up pepper rd in the 50s and went to low rd school used to pass that building but then went past johnny steads tuck shop for my highland toffee they were great times living in ( mucky hunslet )
brenda littlejohn

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Bunk3r wrote: on the remains west of kirkstall abbey (within the grounds) on the north most part where is still built up with two towers with drainage channels below (now dry) (ie here: http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.82154 ... =0&src=msl ), when we use to play on these my parents always said these were the monks old toilets, any truth in that? The drainage channels were for all waste (including human!) that came from the abbey. If you go to the bit that used to be the cafe which is in the south West corner of the abbey, just north of the white marque style things which is now a museum, you will see the continuation of the drainage channels. They have done a mock-up of how the loos used to work there in times gone by.

David Raven

Post by David Raven »

LS1 wrote: I remember there being some toilets that are long gone in Moortown. They were at the junction between stonegate road and Scotthall Road just behind where the telephone box is now, and in front of some flats. There is a grass space now where they were. Yup! I look after that 'grass space' (I'm a self-employed gardener). Shortly after I took over the grounds maintenence contract for the flats you mention, one of the older residents came out and started telling me all about the history of the site, including the toilets that used to be there!CheersDave
Northern Earth Walks

mourning_belle

Post by mourning_belle »

on otley road, in adel. near to the entrance to the crematorium/graveyard. The structure is still there and the two walkways are cut into the wall but its half boarded up and the roof has fallen in on both the ladies and the gents!