lost loo's of leeds.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

Top of Middleton Avenue in the middle of the roundabout, Crossflatts park by the side of Dewsbury Road, down opposite the new hotel near Sweet Street were the bus stop for Dewsbury road is. Also on the corner of Harehills Lane and Compton Rd, there were ones outside the New Inn and Tommy Wass's on Dewsbury Road. Also a set at the side of the Hunslet Shopping Centre. Shame vandalism has done for most of these I know a lot of bus drivers would love to have them back.

rikj

Post by rikj »

My favourite (gents) were the ones in the old bus station. Circular, in one way and out the other. It was only years later that I found out what we'd been standing on all those years. If anyone remembers those circular gents toilets then here's a view of what was underneath. Wonder if it's still there? It was meant as an air raid shelter for 150 persons, 250 "at a push".Munro House, still standing, is clearly visible here to get your bearings. Quarry Hill, under construction in the pic is long gone.

stevief

Post by stevief »

There used to be some toilets on Ash Road,1st left after the Lounge,like a lot of public conveniences they had a dodgy reputation...

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

At the side of the Corn Exchange, steps still there.Its no wonder that bus drivers have bladder problems!!!!
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

stevief

Post by stevief »

arry awk wrote: Burley Rd. at the entrance to Burley Park.(Bricked up).Corner of Bridge Rd.(Kirkstall) and Abbey Rd (previously mentioned in a posting regarding police stns)Back of Leeds Town Hall (Great George St)Junction of Wellington St, Wellington Rd and Kirkstall Rd.These were in the middle of the respective tram tracks and handy for 'express relief' for tram drivers! Top of New Briggate near the Chest Clinic.There was a Gent's (and Ladies) opened in one of the new arcades (Victoria?)but it was shut for 'refurbishing' a couple of yearsago and never reopened!Another Leeds market one at the top of 'Fish Row', whichwas also down a tricky flight of steps. Closed when they opened a new toilet suite (G row?). You have to pay now!I still go to the Barber's down the steps! (A shilling - All Off!)Arry AWK I'm not sure about this one but I think there was another toilet by the Cardigan Lane entrance to Burley Park.There was one in Kirkstall,just before the cenataph by the side of Clover,Alders(whatever!)carpark.Popular with bus drivers.

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

Some at Whingate Junction, Armley according to my neighbour. Does anyone else know if that's correct?

LS1

Post by LS1 »

arry awk wrote: Burley Rd. at the entrance to Burley Park.(Bricked up).Corner of Bridge Rd.(Kirkstall) and Abbey Rd (previously mentioned in a posting regarding police stns)Back of Leeds Town Hall (Great George St)Junction of Wellington St, Wellington Rd and Kirkstall Rd.These were in the middle of the respective tram tracks and handy for 'express relief' for tram drivers! Top of New Briggate near the Chest Clinic.There was a Gent's (and Ladies) opened in one of the new arcades (Victoria?)but it was shut for 'refurbishing' a couple of yearsago and never reopened!Another Leeds market one at the top of 'Fish Row', whichwas also down a tricky flight of steps. Closed when they opened a new toilet suite (G row?). You have to pay now!I still go to the Barber's down the steps! (A shilling - All Off!)Arry AWK Arry, there was the ones in County Arcade at the bottom near Vicar Lane. The doors are still there but they are mysteriously closed...Has anyone mentioned the Merrion Centre ones. I'm sure that Phil_d has put some pics here, they were on the corner of Wade Lane, where the Chiense cafe and Barbers is now.

farbank

Post by farbank »

Now long gone, those that were in the centre of the little island at Junc. Duke St./ Kirkgate. Almost outside the Palace pub.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

farbank wrote: Now long gone, those that were in the centre of the little island at Junc. Duke St./ Kirkgate. Almost outside the Palace pub. i'd forgotten those,well done that man!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

LS1

Post by LS1 »

I remember there being some toilets that are long gone in Moortown. They were at the junction between stonegate road and Scotthall Road just behind where the telephone box is now, and in front of some flats. There is a grass space now where they were.