lost loo's of leeds.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Re: lost loo's of leeds.

Post by Leodian »

Thanks warringtonrhino and uncle mick for posting those fascinating photos :).

The work that was halted is about where the woman is in the centre of Briggate in the first photo posted by uncle mick, so that fits in with the work being likely where the old subway was (still is but hidden?).

PS. It's interesting that hardly anyone seems to be using the subway!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jim

Post by jim »

Very useful as a public convenience, total white elephant as a subway.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

I seem to recall this particular subway being a bit of a hot topic some years back which divided opinion, with one former non-lamented forum member, despite being a self aggrandised urban "expert", not even convinced of its existence until someone posted the very pictures seen here. :lol:

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

That's quite correct Tabbycat, but I will mention no names.
I remember using those toilets on many occasions whilst on the buses.

Down there if you dare!
:mrgreen:
Attachments
Briggate - Subway.jpg
Briggate - Subway.jpg (238.22 KiB) Viewed 4596 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

I've got a 1988 Leeds A-Z that includes locations of public toilets. The Briggate ones aren't listed (probably lack of space) but there are plenty of others like some round the back of the town hall. I've got another old streetmap on the way from eBay. From the photo of one of the pages I'd guess it's mid 70s (Merrion Centre built, Quarry Hill flats and Hunslet Lane station still standing). Should be interesting for other stuff on here.

Some news about the toilets at Leeds Station: Network Rail will be removing the charges for using them.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Oh yes the Town Hall toilets, used to frighten me to death going in there. Glad they closed probably early 70s if memory serves me right. Anyway they are still there just shut up behind the doors.

:arrow:
Attachments
Leeds Town Hall toilets.jpg
Leeds Town Hall toilets.jpg (656.88 KiB) Viewed 4540 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

buffaloskinner wrote:That's quite correct Tabbycat, but I will mention no names.
I remember using those toilets on many occasions whilst on the buses.

Down there if you dare!
:mrgreen:
Good God!

Believe it or not I can actually "smell" that picture and remember using the subway on one occasion with holed shoes on a "flood" day! :lol:

As for them not being included on the 1988 street atlas I'm almost sure they were gone by then but will obviously stand correction.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="buffaloskinner"]Oh yes the Town Hall toilets, used to frighten me to death going in there. Glad they closed probably early 70s if memory serves me right. Anyway they are still there just shut up behind the doors.

If he is the Chef from the British Restaurant under the Town Hall i just hope he has Washed his hands,
Last edited by volvojack on Mon 05 Mar, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Apologies for going off-topic but buffaloskinner's post on Mar 03, 2018 9:22 pm and that from uncle mick on Feb 28, 2018 1:19 am show the transport information kiosk that used to be on Briggate. I would guess that kiosk may have been forgotten by many now. This is a link to a photo in Leodis that is dated 1991 and shows the kiosk was there then. http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL. In relation to that this is a link to an old thread that may be of interest 'A bus information kiosk near to Queens Hotel' https://secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3779 but there may be a security warning if you try to open that thread though it seems safe to me and I had no problem when opening it (if you have any doubt then please do not open it).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.