Building on Elland Road 1940s-1950s

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Jon Howe

Post by Jon Howe »

Can anybody name the large building behind the Scratching Shed on this photo of Elland Road football ground from 1952? I am aware that there was housing on the land where the two large car parks are now and this existed right up until the early 1980s. However, I cannot place this building. It looks much 'grander' than terraced housing and is face-on to the road, where as the houses to its left were face-on to Wesley Street. You can also see the roof of the Old Peacock to the building's right. From photos I think the building was there in the 1940s and 1950s, but for not much longer after that.OS maps from the time show the housing and the pub, but there is no building on the area of land we see occupied here. Indeed all the land on this point and heading up Wesley Street towards Beeston was identified as allotments. Any help appreciated. This info is for a book I am compiling on Elland Road, which will be published in Autumn 2014. Many thanks
Attachments
LU v Bradford 1952.jpg
LU v Bradford 1952.jpg (111.68 KiB) Viewed 2555 times

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

It might actually be the Old Peacock. Have a look at this photograph from the inevitable LEODIS...http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... 521_174518

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

salt 'n pepper wrote: It might actually be the Old Peacock. Have a look at this photograph from the inevitable LEODIS...http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... 521_174518 I could be wrong S&P but this 1949 photo appears to show both buildings
Attachments
Elland-road-1949.jpg
Elland-road-1949.jpg (73.74 KiB) Viewed 2555 times

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

Could go either way Uncle Mick.I remember that from the bottom of Heath Grove there was the garage which is now the Subway. Then there was a dormer (?) bungalow with a nice bit of garden in front. Then I think there was the Old Peacock.Remember the Scratching Shed was low down for a football stand structure. The bungalow was raised up a little from Elland Road. If it was a dormer then that would make it appear a little higher.And the photograph is taken from away up the terrace on the old Kop.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

salt 'n pepper wrote: Could go either way Uncle Mick.I remember that from the bottom of Heath Grove there was the garage which is now the Subway. Then there was a dormer (?) bungalow with a nice bit of garden in front. Then I think there was the Old Peacock.Remember the Scratching Shed was low down for a football stand structure. The bungalow was raised up a little from Elland Road. If it was a dormer then that would make it appear a little higher.And the photograph is taken from away up the terrace on the old Kop. Think you could be correct S&P. This map circa 1960 seems to confirm it :-/
Attachments
Elland Road 1960.png
Elland Road 1960.png (77.86 KiB) Viewed 2555 times

tilly

Post by tilly »

I think Salt n Pepper is right if you look at the Leodis photograph then double click on the Elland Road photograph you can see an upstairs window at the top on both.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Jon Howe

Post by Jon Howe »

I think this is correct. I had wondered if it was the original Old Peacock, but it just looked too big a building. However, you do forget how small the Scratching Shed was, which confuses the perspective a little. Also, the Leodis photo appears to confirm it, with the three windows on the first floor and a single window on a second floor in an apex. To the left of the Old Peacock must be where the allotments are and then the large houses you can see on the extreme left are where the big car park is on the corner of Wesley Street. The 1960s map shows the 'new' Old Peacock I think, ie. when it was rebuilt in 1963 slightly further back from the road. Not a long discussion thread unfortunately, but at least we got an answer and thanks for everyone's help.

liits

Post by liits »

The following two pics from Leodis show the old Old Peacock. The first one shows the front...and this one, taken from the side, shows the Scratching Shed.Notice the difference in elevation. The pub being quite a bit higher up than the Scratching Shed, as is the newer premises.    

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

And another one from LEODIS putting a bit more 'meat on the bones' as it were. It is at........http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... AY=FULLThe LEODIS description and the comments made on the photograph mention the bungalow, owned by one of the business partners of the garage.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

when my Brother and i used to go to Elland Rd. about 1950 i seem to think there was a Pub on the corner of Elland Rd. / Lowfields Rd. in front of what was a cricket ground. is my memory playing tricks ?.     Jack Daly.