Meanwood Towers + Strange Structure In Road

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
LS1

Post by LS1 »

Apparently the Revolution Well was moved slightly to where it is located now when Stonegate road was widened

parlington

Post by parlington »

I believe Meanwood Towers was built on the site an earlier structure and the remains of the earlier building or its ancillary structure can be seen in the property known at Parkland Terrace. My knowledge of this comes from an owner of one of the properties, in the late 1970's, sadly long dead. I owned two properties which formed part of Parkland Terrace, a former Victorian stable block. I was informed that the building was originally part of the house which pre-dated Meanwood Towers. The property still retains the original brick setts from the stables, below the ground floors as they exist today.On a separate note I have recently added a lot more to my Parlington site, in particular a timeline which can be found here: http://www.parlington.co.uk/timeline/ti ... ?process=9 This logic could be utilised by anyone else who's working on family history. Please contact me for more information.

parlington

Post by parlington »

The former stables associated with Meanwood Towers, at Parkland Terrace are pictured here, sadly I can't locate a full view. However from the picture you can see that the ground floor level is raised about three feet; see the steps to the entrance. The reason for this is that the original use was as a stable and the lower windows with the stepped brick cill course used to be the stable doorways which have been bricked up sometime in the twentieth century.Therefore in this picture, as originally constructed, were three high level windows or openings above three stable doors, the door in the centre being an alteration. This shot was taken in the mid to late seventies.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Have noticed on Phil ds flickr page he has some picks of St Bartholmews in Armley and the organ.http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn ... 700214166/
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Thanks Chris. There's a few of Meanwood towers on this page as well.http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/page8/    
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

parlington

Post by parlington »

For some reason the picture I uploaded about Meanwood Towers back in August didn't stick! I forgot about it until doing a clear out of some old photos and came across a shot taken in 1975 with my then new Olympus OM1 with a zoom lens, thought it would be worth adding here. The chimneys were always the talking point of the old building, but clearly they had been reduced by this time, I had also heard that they were considered dangerous and dismantled in the 50's. The other shot is of the stable building as it used to be about the same period, perhaps the early eighties. For the second time the image has not uploaded, first time using Safari Browser, second time with Firefox, someone needs to sort out the upload facility! I'll put both pictures on my Parlington site. This is getting annoying, the web links don't show either! Try again with IE on a PC...
Attachments
__TFMF_2kiv5rfegou32f55wrfggo45_cbe0c47d-d9ca-4de7-803a-5c54a85d6587_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_2kiv5rfegou32f55wrfggo45_cbe0c47d-d9ca-4de7-803a-5c54a85d6587_0_main.jpg (42.31 KiB) Viewed 3211 times

parlington

Post by parlington »

The pictures: Meanwood Towers. Forget it, select image file then no next button in the dialog window!! this is very poor, if someone knows why this is occurring please post a reason. Thank you!OK tried it with Opera, it worked, as can be witnessed by the photos!    
Attachments
__TFMF_2kiv5rfegou32f55wrfggo45_5f9a704a-c7af-4112-9fed-6af9b8993222_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_2kiv5rfegou32f55wrfggo45_5f9a704a-c7af-4112-9fed-6af9b8993222_0_main.jpg (157.48 KiB) Viewed 3211 times

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Well bless my soul - I had a front ground floor flat in Meanwood Towers from 1968 to 1971.Mention above of the removal of the tall chimneys has reminded me of a real ordeal for the tenants. If you think the dentisit's drill is unpleasant I'm sure you can imagine listening to and feeling those solid stone chimneys being sawn off day after day - this was done in 1970 or 1971.I'm being serious now when I say that we nearly all lost our lives in there one weekend. I remember reading on the settee one Saturday afternoon and dozed off or so I thought. I awoke, or "came round" some time later unable to breathe - the room was full of burning blue smoke and oil fumes - rushing out to the colossal high main hall I found that the whole building was full of the same fumes and you couldn't see a hand in front of you. Grabbing a wet towel I managed to get to the fresh air and alert various other tenants. It turned out that a pigeon had fallen into one of the uncowled chimneys and had blocked the exhaust outlet from the powerful pump which heated and circulated hot water to the whole building. My flat was right on top of the basement boiler room and so I got the first and strongest dose.It is absolutely certain that if this had occurred during the night nobody would have survived to tell the tale.I knew of a Schultz organ, but I am astounded to find that it is the same instrument that is now so famous in St. Bartholomew's Church.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Just posted a rendom picture here (now remeoved) and it worked fine.Some people have been having problems with the site this w/e and there are prblems if you use Fire Fox.    

doy

Post by doy »

Does anyone know what The Judges house was used for in 1937, and if there would be any old employee records anywhere? My grandmother used to work there, but she died before i was born and my mother didn't know her very well.