York Road swiming pool

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
lmhowe50

Post by lmhowe50 »

When did York Road swiming pool close. I think I went there with my 1st school Coldcoates infacts round bout 1969 I have a memory of been pushed in deep end,seeing the bottom of pool ,been rescued. I still have fear of deep water Never learnt to swim. Passed the pool on bus. Made me wonder. Also if council will ever do anything to building. It seems to have been empty for years

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

York Road baths closed in April 1969 according to the YEPhttp://tinyurl.com/dycg23xThe building is owned by Jump ??? according to thishttp://tinyurl.com/blzdoea

tilly

Post by tilly »

The building is in a right state is it through choice your guess is has good as mine.The land it sits on must be worth a lot of money, did I say that im a naughty boy.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

anon The mouse

Post by anon The mouse »

On trips back into my home town of leeds I often look in passing at the York road swimming baths and feel saddened by its neglect. I rememeber using the baths as a very young child. I loved the water but couldn't swim and almost drowned (aged abt 3 yrs) after running away from mum and jumping into the deep end -as I didnt want to get out. I must have visited the baths later than this. We lived close by in the Balkans, (Back to back houses, under where the Irish centre now stands.) I rembember the smell and the echoes. When you went in the entrance there was a turnstyle. You had to go through by a wooden ticket office. And I remember beautiful heavily varnished wooden rails, shaped like a bannister rail, and a large tray-like counter where I bought wagon wheels and chocolate teacakes after my swim. I was always famished then. I probably went there with cousins and sisters in a group. We wore those old bubbly fabric swimming costumes and I think we may have had to wear swimming caps too. I dont remember anything of the changing rooms. It was a long time ago. But I never fail to look out for York Road Baths whenever I pass it in the hope of seeing it restored. Fat chance I guess but a shame.anon the mouse.
[ub ]Anon THE mouse [ub]

lmhowe50

Post by lmhowe50 »

I am not sure how old I was when that incident I mentioned happened.I guessed 7 I may have been younger. I know it was before my school coldcoates changed from 1 big school into 4 or 5 smaller 1s if the change had not happened I would have stayed at Coldcoates girls side to leaving. Instead I stayed to 13 then went to Agnus Stewert which like Coldcoates has been pulled down . I remeber the turnstiles,it been fancy to me, the bus ride,nothing much more. Of Coldcoates I remember playing in sandpits, a little boy weeing on my sand castle. I never saw seaside sand until I was 9 and went to Silverdale holiday camp for under privelaged children. I went there 3 times, my sister 4

urban rambler

Re: York Road swiming pool

Post by urban rambler »

Been past today and I'm so pleased at how well the development looks. I had thought since the domed lantern had rotted away that it wouldn't be replaced but the replacement is really impressive. Full marks on the redevelopment, I wish them well for it to be a success after all this time derelict.

volvojack

Re:

Post by volvojack »

[quote="anon The mouse"]On trips back into my home town of leeds I often look in passing at the York road swimming baths and feel saddened by its neglect. I rememeber using the baths as a very young child. I loved the water but couldn't swim and almost drowned abt 3 yrs) after running away from mum and jumping into the deep end -as I didnt want to get out. I must have visited the baths later than this. We lived close by in the Balkans, (Back to back houses, under where the Irish centre now stands.) I rembember the smell and the echoes. When you went in the entrance there was a turnstyle. You had to go through by a wooden ticket office. And I remember beautiful heavily varnished wooden rails, shaped like a bannister rail, and a large tray-like counter where I bought wagon wheels and chocolate teacakes after my swim. I was always famished then. I probably went there with cousins and sisters in a group. We wore those old bubbly fabric swimming costumes and I think we may have had to wear swimming caps too. I dont remember anything of the changing rooms. It was a long time ago. But I never fail to look out for York Road Baths whenever I pass it in the hope of seeing it restored. Fat chance I guess but a shame.anon the mouse.
Your mention of "The Balkans", I only knew that area because the Conductor of the Tram called out "Freehold Street" we would jump off and save either a 1/2d or 1d. by walking down past the Baths and Hemingways Brewery and on to past the Working Blacksmiths and the Hope Inn Pub.
Last edited by volvojack on Thu 03 May, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

For those of you on Facebook there are some great photo's of the restoration of the building

https://www.facebook.com/groups/268155477035739/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

It is reported on page 6 of today's (Sept 1 2018) Yorkshire Evening Post that, following its redevelopment, the former York Road library and swimming baths will be reopened on Monday (thus Sept 3 2018) as a gym and fitness centre.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi everyone,

For those of us who are on Facebook, there is a link about the Library, under the heading - The Restoration of York Road Library. 40 photographs were added last week.

Ian