A very old Establishment down the Skulls head yard (Part 2)

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
LS1

Post by LS1 »

This is still supposition and not grounded on on anything factual. If indeed the skulls were from the chantry chapel , it still begs the question as to why they were put in the wall of the building in Crown Street?     

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

LS1 wrote: This is still supposition and not grounded on on anything factual. If indeed the skulls were from the chantry chapel , it still begs the question as to why they were put in the wall of the building in Crown Street?      I agree we don't know why they were put on the stable.We have always faced 2 questions:1. Where did they come from?2. Is there any truth to the story they were put on the building to commemorate the deaths of 2 soldiers?I think the Radestocke article quoted above gives the best explanation for their origins,particularly as he refers to the bits left lying around on the market site and the discovery of remains of the building during excavations.I still think a workman probably took them into the pub and either swapped them for booze ,or sold them, but this is an aspect we will never find out (unless there is a diary lurking somewhere we don't know about).I had a look in the Newspaper archive yesterday using "stable death Leeds" as keywords and restricting perion to 1805-1815 but it threw up too many hits .I went though up to 1806 before stopping.a good subject for discusssion on 17th I reckon <LOL>.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Yes, the theory of a workman selling the artefact to the landlord seems most likely to me too, if Radestock's version is correct.I had another search on there myself, Steve, and as you say it's difficult to drill down. But I did find a snippet in the 'right' era, mentioning a landlord, bodies and an ostler who discovered them [it looks like].Perhaps chemimike or some other kind soul would have a look?LEEDS, SEPTEMBER 29“... said, he a as landlord, and that they were ti found by the hostler, who had run his knife into diffe- a rent parts of their body, while cutting tray from the b nmow ... ”First match of your search in this article.Saturday 29 September 1810 , Leeds Mercury , West Yorkshire, EnglandType: Article    Words: 1913    Page: 3    Tags: News

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

The snippet does not seem to be concerning Leeds I'm afraid
Attachments
leeds mercury 29,9.1810.jpg
leeds mercury 29,9.1810.jpg (92.87 KiB) Viewed 2691 times

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Geordie-exile wrote: Yes, the theory of a workman selling the artefact to the landlord seems most likely to me too, if Radestock's version is correct.I had another search on there myself, Steve, and as you say it's difficult to drill down. But I did find a snippet in the 'right' era, mentioning a landlord, bodies and an ostler who discovered them [it looks like].Perhaps chemimike or some other kind soul would have a look?LEEDS, SEPTEMBER 29“... said, he a as landlord, and that they were ti found by the hostler, who had run his knife into diffe- a rent parts of their body, while cutting tray from the b nmow ... ”First match of your search in this article.Saturday 29 September 1810 , Leeds Mercury , West Yorkshire, EnglandType: Article    Words: 1913    Page: 3    Tags: News This is the article you refer to Geodie-exile. You can search 19th Century Newspapers FREE with a Leeds library card here http://www.leeds.gov.uk/leisure/Pages/O ... urces.aspx
Attachments
Geordie.jpeg
Geordie.jpeg (157.57 KiB) Viewed 2691 times

String o' beads

Ah thank you. It was always a bit of a long shot.Well, seeing as Leeds callously won't allow me a library card based solely on the fact that I live 100 miles away I shall have to see if my own local library card gives similar privileges.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Geordie ExileIf you can't get it from your local library, try Lancashire libraries. I do now have a subscription to theother website, but also have membership of the Lancashire libraries, which do allow access to the 19th Century newspapers site, as my local Reading library are too mean to subscribe. Lancashire do not (or did not a few years ago) seem to worry if you do not live in the county. I hope that continues as reproduction and indexing is far better on the free site, though there range of papers is much more limited

String o' beads

Thanks. I'll have a look.Checked my library - it only gives access to UK Newsstand, which only goes back to the 1970s.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

That clipping about the conman though does smack of the same tale, and Bramhope isn't that far from Leeds ,neither is Bradford.i wonder if he went to Leeds with his tale and embroidered it in the pub?
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

If I have read this correctly the application has been approved for the building known as "The Crown & Fleece"http://tinyurl.com/oowvnos