Merrion Centre Cinema

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

Saw Mr Bowie at the T&C in August 97, ive seen him all over the place but i will never forget that night, it was Bowieheads only, and the atmosphere was incredible, will we ever see the like again?

munki

Post by munki »

I didn't go to the T&C all that much, but saw some real quality gigs... James & Primal Scream spring to mind. Also Nik Kershaw & No Way Sis, who were... less good.Does anyone have any photos of gigs there?
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

We used to have The Queens Hall, opposite what was then The Dragonara Hotel. It hosted all the big bands, most memorably The Who - Live in Leeds. I think Queen played there too? But it was demolished some years back and is now a car park/office buildings. I went to a Mystic fair there in the late 80's, then it was gone!!! Spooky!!! Lol!

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

I think the Who live in Leeds was recorded at Leeds University. The Queens hall was originally a huge Tram shed, after that it was used for exhibitions and loads of Rock concerts, and, not forgetting the fantastic queens hall feast!!!!!     I remember the SCI FI rock festival there in 1980 or 81, there were some great bands on that weekend, shame its gone, i wonder if the kissing towers will ever be built on the site, criterion place i think its called now.

Letty

Post by Letty »

Just seen the comments about the Odoen in the Merrion Centre. I went to see Bedknobs and Broomsticks there. So many years ago. I remember the entrance but nothing else. On the other hand I used to work at Tiffanys, Merrion Suite and Bali Hai for a couple of years. Was a mad place to be. It seemed so good as a young naive customer but when i worked there and the lights went on, yuch! And what of the other bars in town, anyone remember the The Bank? or Stumps?

Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Ooh, what have I started?I saw 'The Who' at the Queens Hall all-nighter in about 1969 or so.My lasting memory of that event is of a young girl dragging a busted guitar around with her that Pete Townsend had smashed against his amp and had broken in half.One of the other acts that night was Shane Fenton and the Fentones. Later to become Alvin Stardust. How are the mighty fallen?Has anybody else got any memories? Are you that young girl?Oh yes, I've got one. Foul beer sold at extortionate prices and grease sold as hamburgers.I've got the complete 'Who' works set of CDs. Hey, they were fershlugginer good.
http://www.siddles.me.ukYou can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.Stan Laurel.

bigpants

Post by bigpants »

munki wrote: Agreed - though it is hard to tell the owners of the Merrion Centre that they should bear the cost.I still think it is a shame that what was the T&C club, the Gaulton Cinema, is no longer a venue. Was it 18,000 capacity, something like that? Big enough to bring David Bowie to perform in Leeds City Centre in the 90s. T&C capacity was about 2000. such a shame it closed as a live venue, saw some great gigs there and enjoyed the "soul train" 70s nonesense on a friday and "top banana" 80s night on a saturday.best gig was little angels which was recorded by MTV and put out on vhs video (remember them?!) I cringe now when i watch it back and we are all clearly visible swishing loads of long gone long hair about and generally being drunk and stupid. missed support bands cos beer in coburg was too nice.......

munki

Post by munki »

Oh yeah - I put an extra nought in there! 1,800, is what I meant!
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Letty

Post by Letty »

Hey MunkiI thought this site would be including old photos and snippets of video from the old and descreet places in Leeds. Like it said it would be on the telly. On the other hand tho, what's it like sitting in front of a PC. watching all the messages and trying to reply to threads??? I can imagine it would be the best and worst jobs. Any more going?????

munki

Post by munki »

Letty - we want people to post stuff themselves to create the photo archive, though we are putting some on ourselves.The Gallery is the last piece of development on the website & isn't ready but should be soon.We are also arranging to do a series of 'Features' on secret places, if we can get into them... Keep checking!Yes, it is a great job looking at all the stories coming in... hence me doing it on Saturday (saddo). I love this stuff!