Merrion Centre Cinema

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
bigpants

Post by bigpants »

Re The Little Angels at the T&C - that was my first ever gig! I'd love to see the video... Oh, and I'd love to take a look at the old cinema... xthe little angels gig was fantastic, saw them a few months afterwards at milton keynes but just wasn't a patch on the T&C atmosphere. will have to have a nostalgic watch of the video!

acidliam

Post by acidliam »

Out of interest where abouts in the Merrion Center is this?Only lived in Leeds a few years and never seen any evidence of it.

wsmith

Post by wsmith »

The entrance to the old cinema is directly above the entrance to Woolworths. If you go up the escalator which is between Morrisons & Woolworths you can still look through the glass doors & see the interior reception of the cinema.

acidliam

Post by acidliam »

Might go and have a look in a minute I'm just off to buy a new camera.

jf

Post by jf »

The downstairs entrance is now blocked off and is occupied by cash machines (opposite Morrisons).There should be a thread on old cinemas with pictures of what they have become - there's several in the centre now converted to shops or other uses which you wouldn't notice unless you knew they were there. I have a nice book at home that I bought a few years ago which has pictures of many of these places when they were open - most are still there, and if you look above shop fronts on places like Briggate the old facades are still recognisable.One example is the building next to the Angel pub - the wall opposite the seats and tables in the outdoor courtyard is the wall of the old cinema, with an old exit (possibly just a fire exit).

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Thought you may like a look at this article on the Leeds Today website from the Evening Post in February, some good pictures as wellReeling in the years at cinema time forgot...Last Updated: 22 February 2007http://www.leedstoday.net/ViewArticle.aspx?Sec ... 2067306and the picture gallery athttp://www.leedstoday.net/EditorialGallery.asp ... ctionID=39
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?