Merrion Centre Cinema

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
munki

Post by munki »

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day...
Attachments
Clock in Merrion cinema
Clock in Merrion cinema
IMG_0038.jpg (15.5 KiB) Viewed 4877 times
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Loinerpete

Post by Loinerpete »

I remember the Odeon Merrion Centre very well. Christmas 1969 we went there from school and watched "the great race" with Tony Curtis, i think the following year we watched "Oliver"

Paddo

Post by Paddo »

Are there any photos in circulation of the cinema in its hayday? Would be interested to see what it was like before the shopping centre was built on top of it.
sssshhhh...

munki

Post by munki »

Has anyone been lucky enough to see inside the Cinema? It is still there. Some pictures would be good...
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

OldBoy

Post by OldBoy »

I'm pretty sure Rikj has been in it, maybe he can contribute some pictures.
www.jameslesterphotography.co.uk - Photography of hidden cities.

rikj

Post by rikj »

I'll try and put some up later. There are currently some on the BBC Leeds webpage in the Local History section. Taken by Greg Taylor.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Paddo wrote: Are there any photos in circulation of the cinema in its hayday? Would be interested to see what it was like before the shopping centre was built on top of it. heres a few i found
Attachments
Entrance to cinema
Entrance to cinema
old_entrance_400x300.jpg (18.47 KiB) Viewed 4877 times
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

rikj

Post by rikj »

I've put some pics from the Heritage Open day online;http://www.flickr.com/photos/rikj/sets/ ... 550990196/

Martyn

Post by Martyn »

D'y'Know, Bradford has St. Georges Hall, Sheffield has the City Hall, even little Batley has the Frontier Club. How come mighty Leeds doesn't have a concert venue when there's this site gently rotting in the the middle of town?No car park? Alright, we'd have to bribe the attendants at the multi-storey to stay open past nine pm. So that's 20 pence out of the admission price of say...thirty quid. No neighbours to upset with the noise.Granted, it's a bit of a trek for the roadies to get from the van but what the hell.
http://www.siddles.me.ukYou can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.Stan Laurel.

munki

Post by munki »

Agreed - though it is hard to tell the owners of the Merrion Centre that they should bear the cost.I still think it is a shame that what was the T&C club, the Gaulton Cinema, is no longer a venue. Was it 18,000 capacity, something like that? Big enough to bring David Bowie to perform in Leeds City Centre in the 90s.