Guess

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
simonm

Post by simonm »

OK, so this may be very easy for some on here, but where is this building and what is it famous for?
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

slw

Post by slw »

Is it near the Adelphi ? Fairly new to this site and not sure what it is famous for but I am trying to find out, I've got my investigation hat on !!

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

The Yanks love it. Apparently it resembles some building in New York.. Nicknamed the 'flat iron' or something like that!!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

simonm

Post by simonm »

When I said famous you really have to know your onions! Little clue, there is already a thread covering this!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Letty

Post by Letty »

is it the trianguar building over tother side of leeds bridge? near Tetleys? Bridge House?

simonm

Post by simonm »

Aye the building is next to the Adelphi, on Leeds bridge. However, what is it more famous for??

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Isn't/wasn't it something to do with British waterways? A bit ironic if it flooded.Presumably it is from where Louis Le Princce filmed the first moving pictures
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

fluffysheep

Post by fluffysheep »

The building was built as a Temperance House in 1875 by John James Cousins, a Leeds banker. It closed as a hotel in 1900.

fluffysheep

Post by fluffysheep »

tyke bhoy wrote: Isn't/wasn't it something to do with British waterways? A bit ironic if it flooded.Presumably it is from where Louis Le Princce filmed the first moving pictures Just read this on Leodis - probably not a well known fact: Louis Le Prince's first film was on 14 October 1888. It is known as the "Roundhay Garden Scene" as it was shot in the garden of Oakwood Grange, Roundhay. It is the first movie on the reel of film, the second being the more famous Leeds Bridge scene.

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

tyke bhoy wrote: Isn't/wasn't it something to do with British waterways? A bit ironic if it flooded.Presumably it is from where Louis Le Princce filmed the first moving pictures No, Le Prince's Leeds Bridge film was filmed from the first bridge on the left as you head south over the bridge.