Guess

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

Simon, did you do your courting in there back when it was a hotel? ;-)

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

I'm taking over this thread!!Phil, this is the one in New York. Slightly bigger than ours, (but ours is better obviously).
Attachments
__TFMF_f21jx345qn03nk55olmkuyu4_8ee52f19-18c5-45bd-96f9-18beb75b02c1_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_f21jx345qn03nk55olmkuyu4_8ee52f19-18c5-45bd-96f9-18beb75b02c1_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (5.27 KiB) Viewed 1729 times

simonm

Post by simonm »

fluffysheep wrote: tyke bhoy wrote: Isn't/wasn't it something to do with British waterways? A bit ironic if it flooded.Presumably it is from where Louis Le Princce filmed the first moving pictures Just read this on Leodis - probably not a well known fact: Louis Le Prince's first film was on 14 October 1888. It is known as the "Roundhay Garden Scene" as it was shot in the garden of Oakwood Grange, Roundhay. It is the first movie on the reel of film, the second being the more famous Leeds Bridge scene. Aye, thats the reason. One of the first EVER produced moving film was taken here in Leeds. I really think thats summat to feel proud of...OI, Farnley Bloke ya cheeky bugger, I aint that old, you may be thinking of ScandyLad (Twiggs)
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

You know its funny. Having posted what I did I then did a google search on "british waterways" and "leeds bridge". What it came up with is that the "creamy white" building that belonged to "british waterways" and on "the north side" of the bridge was where the film was shot from.I always knew there was a british waterways building/office there or thereabouts and was pretty certain it is the one pictured but it isn't creamy white and is definitely sarf of the river
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

fluffysheep

Post by fluffysheep »

Leodis suggests the film was made on the other side of the river, from the white building shown on this photo.6th October 1999. Image shows Leeds Bridge as it spans the River Aire. It was built between 1871 and 1873 to designs by Thomas Dyne Steele of Newport. The wrought and cast iron was the work of John Butler Iron works of Stanningley. On the far left are warehouses of the Aire & Calder Navigation Canal. The white building, built in the Georgian period was where Jabez Tunnicliffe founded the Band of Hope. Also Louis Le Prince used his single lens camera in October 1888 to make the first moving pictures from a window on the second storey, the premises of ironmongers, Hick's Brothers. The short sequence shows pedestrians and traffic crossing the bridge and can be viewed on the 'Home' page of the Leodis Website. The red brick building, left of centre, is addressed as 20-22 Bridge End.
Attachments
__TFMF_tihtpu45jz0pxx45v3d3qurv_598fafb8-f8a7-4cbc-ae63-aaf9188831eb_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_tihtpu45jz0pxx45v3d3qurv_598fafb8-f8a7-4cbc-ae63-aaf9188831eb_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (28.25 KiB) Viewed 1729 times

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Oh Cheers for that Farnley.. On the ball as ever.. So what was it famous for? It's only what me & Farnley have said surely. Was it a case of mistaken identity after all?
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I even sent in a photo for one of the guess where's we did for that place here. It didn't last long. anna got it straight away :-) http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... readID=185
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/