Leeds Lost Schools

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Jastall1

Re: Leeds Lost Schools

Postby Jastall1 » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 11:20 am

Anybody recall woodhouse secondary on wood house st next to craven road ? Attended 64-70 mr glucksman headteacher ??? Not woodhouse grove there was a woodhouse junior
iansmithofotley

Re: Leeds Lost Schools

Postby iansmithofotley » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 5:59 pm

Hi Jastall1,

I remember Woodhouse Secondary School on Woodhouse Street and Woodhouse Junior School on Jubilee Terrace, a short distance away. I was brought up In Eltham Terrace (1946 - 1958) which was a few hundred yards along Woodhouse Street towards Hyde Park. I didn't go to either of these schools. I went to Quarry Mount Infants and Junior School from 1950 until 1957.

The funny thing is, although I lived in the area during this period and knew lots of people, I can only remember two friends that went to the 'Woodhouse' schools, Arthur Tighe and Wyndham Foster (both lived in the Jubilee Streets). Most of my mates went to the Quarry Mount Schools and then on to Blenheim Secondary School, Leeds Modern School or the Central High School, depending on whether or not they passed their 11+ Scholarship Exams.

I did not know Mr Glucksman but a few months ago, I came across his daughter, Valerie Baum, who now lives in Israel, on a Facebook site, when she was asking for help. She told me that her father was very involved with junior football teams in Leeds and was quite well known.

Ian

Return to