Leeds Lost Schools

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

peterg wrote: On the Ice Cream thread PaulB mentioned a Peter Daly who went to St. Michael's in the mid 40's. the name rings a bell, but I can't quite place a face. I started in September 1943 in 1B and moved up to 1A after Christmas. The ''g' in peterg stands for Gilboy. Are any of that group still alive? My brother Peter Daly is no longer with us but I went to Mt. St. Marys Richmond Hill and there was a Gilboy in our class, John I think, any relation, he also lived on fhe Gipton Estate.

ripper

Re: Leeds Lost Schools

Post by ripper »

I went to Shadwell approved school 1964 to 1967

caro

Post by caro »

Hi does anyone remember Cookridge Infant's School next to the water tower?
I started there in 1953.

paulk2121

Re:Beckett Street Board School

Post by paulk2121 »

Beckett Street Board School picture
Beckett Street Board School.jpg (77.79 KiB) Viewed 12620 times
Beckett Street Board School 2.jpg (73.31 KiB) Viewed 12620 times
Kaiya wrote:magic wrote: JanCee, Do you know if there is any pics on Leodis of the school "Beckett Street County Primary" If anyone finds any pictures of the school I'd love to see them.My Gran and Grandad used to be caretakers of the school and we lived at the house that was in the same grounds of the school. The few pics I did have are lost over the many years of my family now moving around.

paulk2121

Re: Holy Rosary RC Primary - Carlton Hill

Post by paulk2121 »

johnnyg wrote:Paulk21 wrote:"Hiya Clive,I know this is an old post but thought you may like to this picture of the Holy Rosary on Carlton Hill,Little London,it's an aerial shot taken by Skyviews & General not long before it closed ....."Hi Paul, I work at the Holy Rosary (& St Anne's) school now, at its present site on Leopold Street. Any chance of a copyof your photo of the original school, please?Cheers
Attachments
Holy Rosary RC Primary - Carlton Hill
Holy Rosary RC Primary - Carlton Hill
561609_4541686300298_1516803668_n.jpg (292.98 KiB) Viewed 12622 times

Phallica2000

Re:

Post by Phallica2000 »

Scandy Bramley wrote:Ian R P wrote: Is that the Old West Leeds High School? on Whingate. I thought they had turned that into trendy student flats.It's opposite a place called 'Charlie Cake Park' would love to know where that came from. Not dissimilar, Ian - but deffo not WLBH! This is what it used to look like:Can't find any info about the origin of Charley Cake Park, but we used to tease the tramps in there after school! :-OHere's an old photo of it, taken from the school - reet posh eh? :-)

West Leeds High school was not opposite Charlie Cake Park. And this image is nowhere near where you think, lol.
Young 'uns that have no interest in the history of the place they grew up in....disgraceful.

jim

Post by jim »

The 1907 West Leeds High School building was and is indeed opposite Charlie Cake Park. It has now been converted into "Old School Lofts". I was a pupil at this school from 1952-56. I believe it finally closed as a school in 1999 or thereabouts.

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

Someone asked about Matthew Murray HS..

I saw the place built and went there the day it opened in 1961 through July 1963. A wonderful new school with fantastic modern facilities. Playing fields, proper gyms, no shortage of books and and a well equipped science block. It was the science subjects I most enjoyed.

Mr's Gomersal (Head), West (assist Head), Taylor Geography, Scott Chemistry and ??? Physics.

There was a reunion a few years ago, but I couldn't remember many of the names, so decided it was prudent to give it a miss.

I was quite shocked to learn on Leodis that it had been demolished. Was there a reason?

I never really enjoyed or took much interest in history, but I'm making up for it now - in fact I've become quite obsessed with it on sites like this. I have also been busy tracing my family tree, something which has turned out to be absolutely fascinating.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Don't know why Matthew Murray closed, it was one of two schools that I hated to do the school bus run and pick the rowdy children up from, the other being Parkside.

If you google Matthew Murray High School you will find plenty of hits, whether they are the ones you seek is up to you.

:arrow:

:arrow:
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

rikj

Post by rikj »

I was quite shocked to learn on Leodis that it had been demolished. Was there a reason?
Education Leeds (the company formed by LCC to run education) decided that Matthew Murray High School should be merged with Merlyn Rees High School to form South Leeds High School. Once the new site was operational, Matthew Murray was demolished.

There is an account here:

http://antiacademies.org.uk/2014/06/the ... ltogether/

it focuses more on the results than the reasoning behind the process, but will give you the general picture.