Leeds Lost Schools

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Phallica2000

Postby Phallica2000 » Fri 26 Jul, 2013 12:40 pm

Wortley High School, another 'lost' school as it was demolished last year, lol. I was there from 94-99.
Young 'uns that have no interest in the history of the place they grew up in....disgraceful.
lek

Postby lek » Mon 19 May, 2014 12:02 pm

I had the misfortune to be a pupil at West Leeds High School for Boys from 1946
to 1951, this was after passing the 11-plus whilst at Upper Wortley School. UWS was
an excellent school with wonderful, dedicated teachers. On the first day at WLHS I
was ' introduced ' to a thug by the name of Mr. Milverton who was to become my
form-master. He ran the ACC and would often wear his uniform, complete with heavy
boots , all day in the classroom. I often saw him kick out at boys who displeased him.
It soon became clear that some of the older masters resented teaching scholarship
boys, as they had, up to then, taught boys whose parents could afford the fees. One
such, an English master named Phillips, was standing at the end of the platform, looking
out of the window across Charlie Cake Park, when he said ' that is where you boys should
be - out there, working '. His meaning was obvious, even to eleven-year-olds.

When I left at the end of my last day at school, I ran home as fast as my legs would
carry me, putting as much distance between me and that school in the shortest time.

There, I feel much better after getting that off my chest    
somyod2u
jim

Postby jim » Mon 19 May, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi lek, sorry to hear of your experiences of West Leeds. I was an 11-plus pupil at the school, from 1952 -56, having passed the exam at Lower Wortley. The masters you mention were no longer there, and I never had an inkling of the attitudes you mention. Just goes to show how quickly things can change I suppose. I found it to be an excellent school, with few bad masters and a number of really good ones.
BLAKEY

Postby BLAKEY » Mon 19 May, 2014 9:12 pm

[quoterikj - Royal Park, left to rot.}

Was left to rot for years rik but, despite brave and active pressure groups to at least retain it for community use, it was totally demolished recently and cleared away in double quick time
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Tinny

Postby Tinny » Wed 21 May, 2014 1:06 pm

St Luke's C of E Beeston, went there from 62 till 68 then went to Matthew Murray till 73. Both schools now lost, although St Luke's has a new school on the site of the old South Lodge workhouse after the old one got burnt down.
PeteS

Postby PeteS » Wed 20 Aug, 2014 9:59 am

beestonlad wrote:
No, I went to Cockburn High but my mate Derek Middleton did go to Matthew Murray - left sixth form in 1973.

Anyone out there go to Cockburn between 1966 and 1973 by any chance?

I went to Matthew Murray in 1970 till 1976
Attachments
Peter Smith - Passport Photo 1.jpg
Peter Smith - Passport Photo 1.jpg (15.18 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
tilly

Postby tilly » Wed 20 Aug, 2014 6:09 pm

Welcome to the site Pete S.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.
Pashy3

Postby Pashy3 » Mon 01 Sep, 2014 8:54 am

Hi Jim & Lek,
I like you was fortunate to have gone to West Leeds HS 61-64.

Apart from being beaten up on my first day I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Some of the memorable teachers were Barnshaw (head), Ben Baldry, Stan Wilson, Bob Stead,
Chunky Watts, Little Joe Rose, Mounsden (sadist), Titch Gray, Taffy Lloyd, Hirst, Kerrison, Taylor,
Mat Marshal, Morgan, Norcliffe, Kerr, Daniels and "Chuck me into Charliecake" Clayborough.
Good days.

Jim, I also went Lower Wortley PS and got my 11+ there. The teachers there I remember were Miss Broadley, Mrs Greaves, Mrs Lawton, Mr Rundell, Mrs Rawlinson( nee Duxberry) Mr Mason and good old Arthur Cox who organised a Pace Egg Play every Easter.

On one of your earlier posts you mentioned Stevenson's Farm.
I was born in and spent my early years in New Blackpool and used to go on Sunday walks with my Dad to Old Farnley via the farm before the earthworks started for the Cow Close estate.

What happened to Cow Close Secondary Modern?

After 43 years, two months ago I visited UK and Leeds with my wife and son who wanted to see my old schools. Shock and horror-- they have both been turned into flats. Why? What next- Eton into McDonalds.

Cheers,Andy

jim

Postby jim » Mon 01 Sep, 2014 10:31 am

Hi Pashy 3. You probably walked to the farm along Cow Close Road. From 1949-56 I lived at the last house but one on the right, and you will have passed there.

I remember about half of the West Leeds teachers you mention, and Arthur Cox and Mrs Rollinson from Lower Wortley.
Steve266

Postby Steve266 » Wed 03 Sep, 2014 11:06 am

Those of you that went to West Leeds anybody remember Harry Sharratt maths teacher and football goal keeper of great renown?
life is not a dress rehearsal

Return to