Leeds Lost Schools

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
johnnyg

Post by johnnyg »

Paulk21 wrote:"Hiya Clive,I know this is an old post but thought you may like to this picture of the Holy Rosary on Carlton Hill,Little London,it's an aerial shot taken by Skyviews & General not long before it closed ....."Hi Paul, I work at the Holy Rosary (& St Anne's) school now, at its present site on Leopold Street. Any chance of a copyof your photo of the original school, please?Cheers

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

This is a really interesting bookhttp://www.victoriansociety.org.uk/publication ... schools/It would be fantastic if we could have a Leeds version
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

grumpybloke

Post by grumpybloke »

I have been trying to find a picture of St.Silas' School in Hunslet for ages to see whether it looked as I remembered it at age 6. There appear to have been some Hunslet pics put onto the Britain from above website which show the old place. St.Silas Church is in front of the school but by the time I was there the church had been demolished.The building to the rear is what I remember (I think!).

grumpybloke

Post by grumpybloke »

hicklingmick wrote: grumpybloke wrote: I have been trying to find a picture of St.Silas' School in Hunslet for ages to see whether it looked as I remembered it at age 6. There appear to have been some Hunslet pics put onto the Britain from above website which show the old place. St.Silas Church is in front of the school but by the time I was there the church had been demolished.The building to the rear is what I remember (I think!). I"ve looked for photos of ST.Silas before and there"s not a lot even on Leodis.I seem to remember a 6ft concrete wall all round the playground. I think you are correct about the wall,I can very vaguely picture it.

olly

Post by olly »

Now then Grumpybloke I've also been trying to find some photo's of St Silas as I was a pupil there about 1954/5 to 1956/7. I'd also be interested to know if anyone remembers a church which stood at the junction of Hunslet Rd and Leathley Rd, where the extension to Alf Cookes stands (opposite Costco) I seem to remember that a piece of stained glass from the church (was it St Stephens)? was used in the extension to Cookes but wasn't there last time I passed. Wonder what happened to that ?Olly

tilly

Post by tilly »

olly wrote: Now then Grumpybloke I've also been trying to find some photo's of St Silas as I was a pupil there about 1954/5 to 1956/7. I'd also be interested to know if anyone remembers a church which stood at the junction of Hunslet Rd and Leathley Rd, where the extension to Alf Cookes stands (opposite Costco) I seem to remember that a piece of stained glass from the church (was it St Stephens)? was used in the extension to Cookes but wasn't there last time I passed. Wonder what happened to that ?Olly I olly i remember that church but not the name we had the chance to go inside when they had started to knock it down.I think i would have been fourteen then, i ment took the chance we got in through a unlocked door i lived up Leathley Rd on Pearson St all that area was my old stomping ground.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

olly

Post by olly »

Now then Grumpybloke - I lived on Neven St (top of Goodman St and opposite St Silas) so we wer'n't a million miles apart

olly

Post by olly »

Now then Grumpybloke what a small world !! It's very possible that we were classmates although I can't remember anyone. I can remember my mate Les Todd who was a little older than me and lived facing St Silas on a single terrace which (I think) ran in line with Neven St on the opposite side of Goodman St. It was pretty handy having Les as a mate as his Dad was caretaker of St Silas and we used to be able to go into the school on a weekend and play around while Les's Dad did whatever he had to do, also they had a television (yes a television !!!) which Les's parents would allow a few of us to watch occasionally. We left Hunslet about 1957 and moved to the relative paradise of Belle Isle where I attended Belle Isle Primary and Secondary. Just as a matter of interest, could I ask your name ? Mine is Ian Oldroyd and I'm now 63 living in Meanwood, Leeds. It's not my business but how come a Yorkie ends up in Norfolk ?Olly

grumpybloke

Post by grumpybloke »

Being nobbut a lad I was at St.Silas 1959 to 1961 or thereabouts so you were ahead of me. I've been looking again at the pics and there is not a bit of greenery to be seen. Still, we didn't know any different did we?

olly

Post by olly »

Now then young'un the only bit of greenery in Hunslet was the Hunslet Nelson cricket ground at the bottom of Goodman St, close to the river and next to the petrol dumps, there were some allotments there too. A bit too close to the river in fact as one of the lads drowned in there, we'd be about 5/6 or maybe 7. Other than that the only greenery we saw was an occasional trip to Middleton Park. The cricket ground is long gone and is now a 'business park' along with 'The Goodman' and 'The Nevens' pubs, indeed there are only about half a dozen boozers left in Hunslet - sad but a sign of the times. By the way, where did you find the pics ? I looked on Leodis but all I could find was a drawing of St. Silas - no photo's.Cheers Olly