Leeds Lost Schools

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
CycaHa

Re: Leeds Lost Schools

Post by CycaHa »

I went to Coldcotes School (Infants) 1948 for a couple of years. My first school at which I remember more than anything the sultanas in the semolina! To this day I am repulsed by sutanas and pick them out of Xmas cake.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

About 1943 I began going to Mt. St. Mary's Richmond Hill boys school which must have been the smallest and possibly the oldest in the city, It had been built on a hill and the slum clearance in front of it had been halted when War 11 began. It was constructed of dark stone as was the girls school, the nuns convent and the Church (some of which is still left) The boys entrance was on Church Road and then you had to climb two lots of steps to the playground and another set to the classrooms. The facilities in the class rooms were quite primitive and the toilets out in the playground were grim, Things like gymnasium , science room etc. were non existent and I can't remember but I don't think there was any heating. It only had four classrooms.
Going back recently the whole thing had been demolished and only the doorstep was still there. A new College has been built in it's place Turning out to play for the School team on a Wednesday afternoon meant a walk to East End Park and get changed beside the pitch. They were full size pitches and the only grass was near each corner .

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

My brother, sister and I all went to Mt, St. Marys School and as we lived on the newly built Gipton Estate that meant a walk up to Gipton Approach a Tram / Bus getting off at The Hope Inn, York Road and then walking quite a way to School.The modern Coldcotes School was in the next street minutes away but our Mother was a staunch Catholic so would not even consider it .
As the whole school, church and orphanage was built on a hill our playground was about 20 feet or so above Church Road newcomers like myself where hung over the wall upside down by the feet.

Childhood

Post by Childhood »

Castleton infants primary school, I attended in 1960, did any one else go then
MR Moorhous was the headmaster

jma

Post by jma »

Childhood

Welcome.

This image on Leodis only shows a bit of the school railings but it's evoked a lot of memories

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

JamesBotch

Post by JamesBotch »

Hi jma,

For some reason, the link doesn't work.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

JamesBotch wrote:Hi jma,

For some reason, the link doesn't work.
The link works OK for me, are you abroad ? as I've noticed when I'm abroad I sometimes can't access Leodis without a VPN or perhaps the Leodis website was down when you tried the link ??

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

It works for me but try this http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 2_70309085 to get to Leodis or here it is
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Mount St. Mary's school was not only old but poorly equipped for pupils probably due to for one thing all Catholic Schools at that time had to pay for their own equipment books etc. and also due to slum clearance there where very few people left still living on the Bank. When i see programmes on t.v. these days with Pupils dissecting frogs i think if we had had the opportunity we would have eaten the frogs ( Food Rationing ) and used the scalpel on the teachers .

Forgot to mention the Nuns who taught the Junior, Intermediate and the Girls classes. They were unbelievably cruel teachers and most of all to the poor girl orphans.

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

I was part of the very first intake to the brand new school in 1961!

It was so new that it was not ready for us - we were bussed to Burmontoffs School from memory.

The teachers in those days were divided into four houses and I was in Mansfield (Red). My teachers were Poulter for French, Dave Seamen English, Tidsdale Technical Drawing and some Maths, Kubic RE, Cohen for Geography, Hanson / Storey for PE, Mellor for Art and Crafts, Barker for Maths, Mansfield for Science, Halton for Metal Work. I am not certain if we had another Cohen for History, Barker for Music.

The Head Teacher was RD Hill and his Deputy was a bastard - I was never caned, slippered or beaten until my last couple of days and it was from the Deputy. We collected a few golf balls from the canal and took them to him as a present. He didn't understand irony.

I left school in 1966 and have a photo of Leeds United goal keeper, Gary Sprake giving me my prize in the play ground.

I think I was the first pupil from the school ever to go to university!