Leeds Lost Schools

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
fredshaw

Re:

Post by fredshaw »

Steve266 wrote:Those of you that went to West Leeds anybody remember Harry Sharratt maths teacher and football goal keeper of great renown?
I remember Harry Sharrat, he played for Bishop Auckland and he brought to school the FA Amateur Cup
they had won at Wembley. It was my second year so around 1955.

Wiljoy

Re: Leeds Lost Schools

Post by Wiljoy »

in 1944-1949 I went to night school in a school down Darley Street off North Street is the building still there??
Australians all let us rejoice fr we are 1-2-3 :D

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

I'm afraid Darley Street and the school is long gone, its now under the Leeds College of Building
Attachments
Darley Street.JPG
Darley Street.JPG (187.25 KiB) Viewed 12554 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

mark1978

Post by mark1978 »

Does anyone have any photos of Woodhouse Street School, or Woodhouse Infants? There are only very partial images on Leodis.

Also in Woodhouse, St Mark's School that used to be between Cathcart Street and Raglan Road. I can't find any information about that one at all.

blackprince

Re: Re:

Post by blackprince »

fredshaw wrote:
Steve266 wrote:Those of you that went to West Leeds anybody remember Harry Sharratt maths teacher and football goal keeper of great renown?
I remember Harry Sharrat, he played for Bishop Auckland and he brought to school the FA Amateur Cup
they had won at Wembley. It was my second year so around 1955.
You will find some photos and a press cutting about Harry Sharrat here
http://wlbhs.co.nr/
Look under Links in the menu.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Excalibur

Post by Excalibur »

Who remembers St Dominic’s Middle School in the 70s and early 80s. It was at the bottom of Leopoldo Street in Chapeltown. Teachers included Mr Heggarty, Miss Noreen Walsh, Miss Cavadino, Miss Casey, Miss Cabry, Mrs Abrahams, Mr Cockeram, Mr Wilson, Mr Shiels, Bogey Brennan, Mrs Foster and Mr Howell. A great school, I loved it and will never forget it. It was the happiest time of my life!

Excalibur

Post by Excalibur »

Who remembers St Dominic’s Middle School in the late 70s, early 80s. It was situated in Leopoldo Street, Leeds7, and I spent my happiest times there.
My best mate was Victor Obanye and my favourite teacher Mr. Howell!

johnnyg

Post by johnnyg »

St Dominic's became the Holy Rosary and St Anne's primary and is still on the same site. My father-in-law was the caretaker there for 20-odd years, Mr Neville.

johnnyg

Post by johnnyg »

St Dominic's became the Holy Rosary and St Anne's primary and is still on the same site. My father-in-law was the caretaker there for 20-odd years, Mr Neville.

loiner99

Post by loiner99 »

Does anyone remember St Charles school which was next to New York Road and I went there mid/late 50s. It had one concrete playground in which we boys played football and every so often the ball (heavy leather) would go sailing over the wrought iron fence onto the poor unsuspecting drivers on New York Road as it swept from the Woodpecker Junction up to North Street. The road level was much lower then and the fact that there was never a major accident was a minor miracle.
batchoy