Leeds Lost Schools

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Tinny

Post by Tinny »

St Luke's C of E Beeston, went there from 62 till 68 then went to Matthew Murray till 73. Both schools now lost, although St Luke's has a new school on the site of the old South Lodge workhouse after the old one got burnt down.

PeteS

Post by PeteS »

beestonlad wrote: No, I went to Cockburn High but my mate Derek Middleton did go to Matthew Murray - left sixth form in 1973.Anyone out there go to Cockburn between 1966 and 1973 by any chance? I went to Matthew Murray in 1970 till 1976
Attachments
Peter Smith - Passport Photo 1.jpg
Peter Smith - Passport Photo 1.jpg (15.18 KiB) Viewed 8117 times

tilly

Post by tilly »

Welcome to the site Pete S.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Pashy3

Post by Pashy3 »

Hi Jim & Lek,I like you was fortunate to have gone to West Leeds HS 61-64.Apart from being beaten up on my first day I thoroughly enjoyed it.Some of the memorable teachers were Barnshaw (head), Ben Baldry, Stan Wilson, Bob Stead,Chunky Watts, Little Joe Rose, Mounsden (sadist), Titch Gray, Taffy Lloyd, Hirst, Kerrison, Taylor,Mat Marshal, Morgan, Norcliffe, Kerr, Daniels and "Chuck me into Charliecake" Clayborough.Good days.Jim, I also went Lower Wortley PS and got my 11+ there. The teachers there I remember were Miss Broadley, Mrs Greaves, Mrs Lawton, Mr Rundell, Mrs Rawlinson( nee Duxberry) Mr Mason and good old Arthur Cox who organised a Pace Egg Play every Easter.On one of your earlier posts you mentioned Stevenson's Farm.I was born in and spent my early years in New Blackpool and used to go on Sunday walks with my Dad to Old Farnley via the farm before the earthworks started for the Cow Close estate.What happened to Cow Close Secondary Modern?After 43 years, two months ago I visited UK and Leeds with my wife and son who wanted to see my old schools. Shock and horror-- they have both been turned into flats. Why? What next- Eton into McDonalds.Cheers,Andy

jim

Post by jim »

Hi Pashy 3. You probably walked to the farm along Cow Close Road. From 1949-56 I lived at the last house but one on the right, and you will have passed there.I remember about half of the West Leeds teachers you mention, and Arthur Cox and Mrs Rollinson from Lower Wortley.

Steve266

Post by Steve266 »

Those of you that went to West Leeds anybody remember Harry Sharratt maths teacher and football goal keeper of great renown?
life is not a dress rehearsal

jim

Post by jim »

I remember Harry Sharratt bringing the FA amateur cup to school to show off to the dinner ladies. I also remember him threatening to hit one of my classmates, who stood up and invited him to try. Mr Sharratt thought the better of it.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

I drove past the former Braimwood school the other week and the 'new' modular Roundhay Primary appears completed.Whilst the new school seems much smaller than what was there before, I was surprised to see that the car park has expanded massively taking over the entire football pitch at the front of the school on top of the existing space.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

raveydavey wrote: I drove past the former Braimwood school the other week and the 'new' modular Roundhay Primary appears completed.Whilst the new school seems much smaller than what was there before, I was surprised to see that the car park has expanded massively taking over the entire football pitch at the front of the school on top of the existing space. That's an interesting note raveydavey about the car park. I amazes me to see large car parks at schools, such as that at Allerton High School, Alwoodley. There are normally a lot of cars there and unless there is a much larger number of staff than I would imagine then the conclusion is that many students use a car. When I was in the 6th form at a school in the very early 1960s one or two pupils had a motor bike but using a car would have been unbelievable. Times sure have changed!     
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

peterg

Post by peterg »

On the Ice Cream thread PaulB mentioned a Peter Daly who went to St. Michael's in the mid 40's. the name rings a bell, but I can't quite place a face. I started in September 1943 in 1B and moved up to 1A after Christmas. The ''g' in peterg stands for Gilboy. Are any of that group still alive?