Leeds Lost Schools

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
fluffysheep

Post by fluffysheep »

After reading a few other threads/posts on the site, I thought I'd start off a Leeds Lost Schools thread, after the poularity of similar lost pubs, cinemas etc. I'm not originally from Leeds, and didn't go to school here, but I have seen many buildings that look like old schools that have been converted into flats/offices, or simply closed down. I'd be interested to hear about some of these and where they are.Here's one to start off...Behind the Parish Church is a wall, and a gate way, which doesn't go anywhere now. However, next to it is a large sign which suggests there was once a school on the site.
Attachments
__TFMF_5noq3g55trmfkobpehr1fq55_a91d8829-03aa-4c13-a1eb-029702a750a0_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_5noq3g55trmfkobpehr1fq55_a91d8829-03aa-4c13-a1eb-029702a750a0_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (58.65 KiB) Viewed 17880 times

fluffysheep

Post by fluffysheep »

"The National School" near the Parish Church
Attachments
__TFMF_5noq3g55trmfkobpehr1fq55_adc312b0-2e84-4606-9d34-d0958506d817_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_5noq3g55trmfkobpehr1fq55_adc312b0-2e84-4606-9d34-d0958506d817_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (35.16 KiB) Viewed 17880 times

Biscuit Tin

Post by Biscuit Tin »

Is Ingram Road Primary still there or has that gone the same way as other buildings?

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

fluffysheep wrote: After reading a few other threads/posts on the site, I thought I'd start off a Leeds Lost Schools thread, after the poularity of similar lost pubs, cinemas etc. I'm not originally from Leeds, and didn't go to school here, but I have seen many buildings that look like old schools that have been converted into flats/offices, or simply closed down. I'd be interested to hear about some of these and where they are.Here's one to start off...Behind the Parish Church is a wall, and a gate way, which doesn't go anywhere now. However, next to it is a large sign which suggests there was once a school on the site. I went To Park Lane College of F.E. from 1974 - 1976 and the old school at the back of the Parish Church (next to the Calls) was an 'annexe' where I had sociology lectures. I'm not sure when it ceased to be an ordinary school and became part of Park Lane.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

My sister went to Wyther Park School in Bramley. We called it "the ranchhouse", cos of its wooden ranch style veranda. I think it got burned down (?) and is now gone.I was at West Leeds Boys - now a block of luxury flats! I imagine the residents wake up at nights to the sound of ghosts of young boys being thrashed with the cane or the slipper :-S
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

Hi! I mentioned other day that Armley park school was now offices. I went there. I also went to Upper wortley Primary, now under offer. Lastly I went to West Leeds Girls (where I now work) and it's being demolished in about two years. Is it me do you think??Speaking of West Leeds, they are holding a centenary bash, in October. I'm assuming that the boys school is being honored in this too

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

Ay-oop Carrots! ;-) Think I'm right in saying both my nieces (Michelle and Leanne) were at West Leeds girls in the early 2000's.There was a railway cutting between the boys and girls school there, when I was at W.Leeds...during dinnerbreaks, the embankments were littered with West Leeds High boys and girls snogging (and more!)....! :-ONot ME, I might add - I was too much into lakin' footy with me mates, to bother. Preferred the "rough" lasses from Gotts Park - you got more chance with them!FLASH!!! I just remembered..I dragged me dad (Arry Awk) to a classical piano recital at W.Leeds Girls one evening, in the late 60's. Couldn't stand classical music back then, I but hoped to meet the one WLG lass I was sweet on. She never even turned up! :-) Poor 'Arry! Had to sit through an hour of piano droning for me!
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

deano_bramley

Post by deano_bramley »

was it called aireborough grammar school that used to be opposite nunroyd park in yeadon which is now new houses? There was four plaques on the wall saying the catchment areas of Rawdon, Guiseley, Menston and Yeadon. I think it was menston that got crashed into so its not there anymore..

Biscuit Tin

Post by Biscuit Tin »

Anybody out there go to Matthew Murray late 60's early 70's?

beestonlad

Post by beestonlad »

No, I went to Cockburn High but my mate Derek Middleton did go to Matthew Murray - left sixth form in 1973.Anyone out there go to Cockburn between 1966 and 1973 by any chance?
when I were a lad.....I was much younger than I am now.