paulk21

Post by paulk21 »

Si wrote: ...and two. Holy Rosary RC Primary,Carlton Hill

paulk21

Post by paulk21 »

paulk21 wrote: Si wrote: ...and two.

paulk21

Post by paulk21 »

paulk21 wrote: Si wrote: ...and two. Holy Rosary RC Primary,Carlton Hill & St Stephens,Accomadation Road     Cheers Si mate     

Phallica2000

Post by Phallica2000 »

carrotol wrote: Hi! I mentioned other day that Armley park school was now offices. I went there. I also went to Upper wortley Primary, now under offer. Lastly I went to West Leeds Girls (where I now work) and it's being demolished in about two years. Is it me do you think??Speaking of West Leeds, they are holding a centenary bash, in October. I'm assuming that the boys school is being honored in this too You're thinking of the Armley Clock School on Armley Road, the Armley Park school (Armley Primary) was the site that the Clock School moved to in 1990-1991. I know this because I was in year 3 in the Clock School and then we were all moved to the Armley Park site when it was finished. The Armley Park school is on Salisbury Terrace.On a sidenote, I was in the first year 3, the first year 4, the first year 5 and the first year 6 in Armley Primary as they'd just closed down the middle schools and a few of the classrooms for the non-existent years above us were vacant so I missed going to middle school by a hair.
Young 'uns that have no interest in the history of the place they grew up in....disgraceful.

teachers pet

Post by teachers pet »

Saw a post from smalkships about stanningley council school. My wife works at the scool he was evacuated to and would love to hear about his time in Scotter lincolnshire. Can anyone help?

Phallica2000

Post by Phallica2000 »

Wortley High School, another 'lost' school as it was demolished last year, lol. I was there from 94-99.
Young 'uns that have no interest in the history of the place they grew up in....disgraceful.

lek

Post by lek »

I had the misfortune to be a pupil at West Leeds High School for Boys from 1946 to 1951, this was after passing the 11-plus whilst at Upper Wortley School. UWS wasan excellent school with wonderful, dedicated teachers. On the first day at WLHS Iwas ' introduced ' to a thug by the name of Mr. Milverton who was to become myform-master. He ran the ACC and would often wear his uniform, complete with heavyboots , all day in the classroom. I often saw him kick out at boys who displeased him. It soon became clear that some of the older masters resented teaching scholarshipboys, as they had, up to then, taught boys whose parents could afford the fees. One such, an English master named Phillips, was standing at the end of the platform, looking out of the window across Charlie Cake Park, when he said ' that is where you boys shouldbe - out there, working '. His meaning was obvious, even to eleven-year-olds.    When I left at the end of my last day at school, I ran home as fast as my legs would carry me, putting as much distance between me and that school in the shortest time.     There, I feel much better after getting that off my chest    
somyod2u

jim

Post by jim »

Hi lek, sorry to hear of your experiences of West Leeds. I was an 11-plus pupil at the school, from 1952 -56, having passed the exam at Lower Wortley. The masters you mention were no longer there, and I never had an inkling of the attitudes you mention. Just goes to show how quickly things can change I suppose. I found it to be an excellent school, with few bad masters and a number of really good ones.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

[quoterikj - Royal Park, left to rot.}Was left to rot for years rik but, despite brave and active pressure groups to at least retain it for community use, it was totally demolished recently and cleared away in double quick time
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.