Leeds Lost Schools

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
uncle mick

Re: Leeds Lost Schools

Postby uncle mick » Sat 13 Apr, 2019 9:14 am

JamesBotch wrote:Hi jma,

For some reason, the link doesn't work.
The link works OK for me, are you abroad ? as I've noticed when I'm abroad I sometimes can't access Leodis without a VPN or perhaps the Leodis website was down when you tried the link ??
tyke bhoy

Postby tyke bhoy » Sat 13 Apr, 2019 11:08 am

It works for me but try this http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 2_70309085 to get to Leodis or here it is
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/
volvojack

Postby volvojack » Sun 14 Apr, 2019 3:25 pm

Mount St. Mary's school was not only old but poorly equipped for pupils probably due to for one thing all Catholic Schools at that time had to pay for their own equipment books etc. and also due to slum clearance there where very few people left still living on the Bank. When i see programmes on t.v. these days with Pupils dissecting frogs i think if we had had the opportunity we would have eaten the frogs ( Food Rationing ) and used the scalpel on the teachers .

Forgot to mention the Nuns who taught the Junior, Intermediate and the Girls classes. They were unbelievably cruel teachers and most of all to the poor girl orphans.
Stuart

Postby Stuart » Tue 23 Apr, 2019 10:42 am

I was part of the very first intake to the brand new school in 1961!

It was so new that it was not ready for us - we were bussed to Burmontoffs School from memory.

The teachers in those days were divided into four houses and I was in Mansfield (Red). My teachers were Poulter for French, Dave Seamen English, Tidsdale Technical Drawing and some Maths, Kubic RE, Cohen for Geography, Hanson / Storey for PE, Mellor for Art and Crafts, Barker for Maths, Mansfield for Science, Halton for Metal Work. I am not certain if we had another Cohen for History, Barker for Music.

The Head Teacher was RD Hill and his Deputy was a bastard - I was never caned, slippered or beaten until my last couple of days and it was from the Deputy. We collected a few golf balls from the canal and took them to him as a present. He didn't understand irony.

I left school in 1966 and have a photo of Leeds United goal keeper, Gary Sprake giving me my prize in the play ground.

I think I was the first pupil from the school ever to go to university!

volvojack

Postby volvojack » Thu 09 May, 2019 11:47 am

Hello Stuart, Obviously things have much improved since the new school was built. I was in Leeds some time ago and drove up as near as possible to the new school. I climbed the old steps up to what remained of the church but unfortunately the top was sealed off so could not see whether the orphanage and other buildings were still there.
I was interested in your post regarding being presented with a certificate from Gary Sprake in the playground and would be very interested in seeing a picture of same if possible.
volvojack

Postby volvojack » Thu 16 May, 2019 10:03 am

Hello again Stuart. Anymore information about Mt. St. Marys would be most welcome. Hope you are keeping well.

All being well we are coming up to Leeds this weekend and going to approach the school from the York Rd. end