The former Wellesley Hotel

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
liits

Re: The former Wellesley Hotel

Post by liits »

Unless my interpretation is wrong, the map appears to show three sets of running lines between each platform. I can hazard a guess which of then could be platform 1 [possibly] but what happened to numbers 3 and 7?

jim

Post by jim »

I recall Leeds Central very well from the 1950s and 60s, and from 1962-4 was responsible for maintenance of the turntable and water columns. There were indeed three tracks between each set of main platforms. The centre roads would have been provided for carraige storage originally, but by the time I knew the station carraiges were invariably taken out to the carraige sheds at Copley Hill, adjacent to the engine shed for servicing, and returned when required. Neither of these sheds were present at the date of the map, 1891. I cannot explain the perverse numbering of the platforms, but can say one additional track and short platform was provided next to the southernmost platform shown. By the 1950s that platform was numbered 1, and the others were numbered sequentially across the station to platform 7 on the northern outer edge.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Well Liits hopefully this video will clear it up for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHQFs0PrMeA
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

jim

Post by jim »

Looks like I got the platform numbering the wrong way round buffaloskinner. I will have to get my nurse to batter me round the head more often!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks all for making this a very interesting thread. :)

There are many nostalgic photos in the sequence of still images that made up the 'video', particularly the steam trains. At about 5:50 I found the times on the arrival board written in chalk by hand to be amusing and also intriguing as a 24 hour notation was used which may have been quite uncommon then. There were also only 10 trains listed from early morning to late night, so it presumably was a quiet day!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

As Jim states,the middle roads were used to stable vehicles,probably parcels vans which arrived overnight which stood until required later that night.
Most of the trains which were brought from the sidings used to have the inward engine bank/follow the express to the the platform end.
If memory serves me right there were also engine release lines,the inward express loco could have stopped short of the point work,uncouple and procede to the buffer stops and depart via the adjacent non platform
line to shed.
www.Davidheyscollection.com is a gold mine of info about railways.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

The covered walkway is mentioned in naother thread i started about it when I thought it was the site of the former holy well.I can't remeber the thread title though so if anyone can find and post the link as I know there is further info and maps in it. :)
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="buffaloskinner"]Well Liits hopefully this video will clear it up fo

Two of my Uncles were Taxi Drivers who operated mainly out of The Station, at the top right of the rise and looking at this wonderful video brought back so many forgotten memories of the 40s / 50s. Thank you Buffaoskinner.

hyperioncantlogin

Post by hyperioncantlogin »

Floor Plan. [img]
plan.JPG
plan.JPG (69.59 KiB) Viewed 2188 times
[/img]