Behind Tesco's in Roundhay

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
bungleuk

Post by bungleuk »

I'm new to this forum, so may be repeating something someone has already answered, but ever since my childhood, which isn't that long ago, i've heard about air raid shelters behind Tescos in Roundhay, which I believe used to be the site of and airplane factory (blackdog?).Is this true?

simonm

Post by simonm »

I can still remembr passing that place on the no 31 bus to my grandma's years ago and seeing the camouglaged roof. I think the place belonged to Avro didn't it. If there are shelters somewhere it's hardly a suprise!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Hi Bungle.. Yes your right about Tescos & the Avro link.. Your also right about it been mentioned before. This makes the 3rd thread i believe.. It's down in the bunker section with pictures somewhere.. Have we not got a search on here yet to make finding things easier munki? Someone says there is but i can't find it..
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

if there isn't you could try some of google's advance search capabilityavro came up with 5 hitshttp://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&as_qdr=al ... h&meta=and tesco 9 hits.in the search box type in what you are searching for and end with [site:secretleeds.co.uk] without the square brackets
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

i used to play in those woods as a boy,and in the air raid shelters.they were for the workers in the aero factory,who made the blenheim bomber.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

farbank

Post by farbank »

From 'Farbank',                     As a boy during WW11, we often stood and chatted to the Army on sentry duty at the aero factory that was known as 'Blackburns'. Beside taking them the odd woodbine we had managed to cadge for them, the usual question was ''have you got a sister''.? No change there then.! As mentioned earlier, the factory was mainly involved in construction of the Blenheim bomber. But as we often saw, leaving the factory on heavy low-loaders, it appeared to be only the massive wings, and sometimes the fuselage. These I believe then went to Avro's at Yeadon for assembly.