Fullerton Greyhound Track

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
book

Post by book »

Didn't Hunslet RL play there at one time?
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

book wrote: Didn't Hunslet RL play there at one time? See drapesy's post upthread.

book

Post by book »

Geordie-exile wrote: book wrote: Didn't Hunslet RL play there at one time? See drapesy's post upthread. Yes loiner is right. Hunslet did play there. I also seem to remember stock car racing there? Or was it at Odsal?

BIG N

Post by BIG N »

book wrote: I also seem to remember stock car racing there? Or was it at Odsal? Deffo never raced Stocks at Elland Rd book, not even any form of derivative motorsport that I know of either.Certainly did race at Odsal though, as I well know from first hand experience lol

book

Post by book »

BIG N wrote: book wrote: I also seem to remember stock car racing there? Or was it at Odsal? Deffo never raced Stocks at Elland Rd book, not even any form of derivative motorsport that I know of either.Certainly did race at Odsal though, as I well know from first hand experience lol Thanks, I remember going to all these stadiums or grounds as a youngster, but the stock car visits are a bit vague, it must have been Odsal I went to see them.

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

book wrote: Didn't Hunslet RL play there at one time? I'm not sure just when racing ceased but I know that Hunslet started playing at the stadium in 1973 before moving on to Batley and then Leeds United's ground later on.For a few months back in about 1968/69 I worked part-time on Saturday nights at the "dogtrack". I remember the almost antique ticket machines that we used on the official Tote: they made a loud clanking sound when operated. A favourite bet on the Tote was to select two greyhounds and back either of them to finish (I think) first and second in the same race.Back then the popularity of greyhound racing, certainly at the Elland Road track, had already begun to lose its appeal, and whilst some customers were generally loyal, attendances were diminishing.JD

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

dizzy marsh wrote: With reference to Fullerton Greyhound track, the Daily Mirror of 21 Nov 1927 features a statement by the Greyhound Racing Association which mentions Fullerton Park as one of its racetracks. The statement says that a prospectus is to be issues next week advertising shares in the GRA. On the 5th of December 1927 a full page ad is taken out by the GRA in which the shares are put on offer and the track at Leeds is mentioned as being leased until 1948 at a rent of £1,800 per annum. Elland Road does not appear to have been owned by the GRA. If anyone is interested in finding out about the history of tracks in their area the first place I`d recommend visiting is their local library. Usually they have books or photos of the area but if not they can advise where to find archive materials. The best sources are very often old newspapers, local ones being available on microfiche in most of the big libraries. They really are a fantastic resource. National dailies can be found in libraries too, usually online but if you can afford it or you are in higher education you can find newspapers on line through the British Library or at the Daily Mirror archives which also contain other newspapers. Be warned though, once you start looking, it`s addictive! I am at Sussex university doing PhD research on the history of greyhound racing 1926-51 so if anybody has info about the Leeds tracks - particularly anecdots relating to this period - I`d be interested to hear from them. More info about Fullerton Park in this threadhttp://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messages.aspx ... Message=25

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

jdbythesea wrote: book wrote: Didn't Hunslet RL play there at one time? I'm not sure just when racing ceased but I know that Hunslet started playing at the stadium in 1973 before moving on to Batley and then Leeds United's ground later on.For a few months back in about 1968/69 I worked part-time on Saturday nights at the "dogtrack". I remember the almost antique ticket machines that we used on the official Tote: they made a loud clanking sound when operated. A favourite bet on the Tote was to select two greyhounds and back either of them to finish (I think) first and second in the same race.Back then the popularity of greyhound racing, certainly at the Elland Road track, had already begun to lose its appeal, and whilst some customers were generally loyal, attendances were diminishing.JD It's a heck of a long time since I went to the dogs, if you'll pardon the expression, but I seem to remember the popular bet on the Tote was 1 & 2 reversed. I could be wrong, as I've remarked before, I usually am.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

[quotenick="Johnny39"] jdbythesea wrote: book wrote: Didn't Hunslet RL play there at one time? It's a heck of a long time since I went to the dogs, if you'll pardon the expression, but I seem to remember the popular bet on the Tote was 1 & 2 reversed. I could be wrong, as I've remarked before, I usually am. Johnny, on this occasion at least, you're memory's better than mine. 1 & 2 reversed - that was the term I was trying to remember. Well done. JD

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

[quotenick="jdbythesea"] Johnny39 wrote: jdbythesea wrote: book wrote: Didn't Hunslet RL play there at one time? It's a heck of a long time since I went to the dogs, if you'll pardon the expression, but I seem to remember the popular bet on the Tote was 1 & 2 reversed. I could be wrong, as I've remarked before, I usually am. Johnny, on this occasion at least, you're memory's better than mine. 1 & 2 reversed - that was the term I was trying to remember. Well done. JD jdbythesea - Glad to be of some use once in a while. It was amazing how often that bet came up.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?