Fullerton Greyhound Track

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Derculees

Post by Derculees »

So pleased to find this thread, I worked for a sign company that repainted the individual letters and numbers for the tote board at the greyhound track, app. 1960. My son has now started on the same site, surveying for the new PHQ and was asking about it's history. Would anybody know if the original, (s/side) was built on vacant land?
Touch not but the glove

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

On the Old Maps website, there are maps for 1921 and 1938.The 1921 map shows the Hoxtons, Almonbury Avenue etc and the Old Peacock as the only structures on the south side of Elland Road in the vicinity of the football ground. Where the greyhound stadium is now - or was - is just empty space on the 1921 map. So - vacant land. Similarly, Fullerton Park is not shown on the 1921 map but has been constructed by 1938.    

book

Post by book »

Derculees wrote: So pleased to find this thread, I worked for a sign company that repainted the individual letters and numbers for the tote board at the greyhound track, app. 1960. My son has now started on the same site, surveying for the new PHQ and was asking about it's history. Would anybody know if the original, (s/side) was built on vacant land? Hi and welcome. What's PHQ?
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi Book. I suspect PHQ may stand for Police Headquaters, as I think one is to be built there for when Millgarth Police Station closes.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Map dates from 1932
Attachments
1932 Fullerton Park.JPG
1932 Fullerton Park.JPG (228.58 KiB) Viewed 3443 times
Last edited by buffaloskinner on Mon 04 Jun, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

buffaloskinner wrote: This map dates from 1932 My eyesight is worse than I thought.In my post above I refer to the Almonbury streets. From BuffaloSkinner's easier to read map I see I should have written Canonbury Avenue etc.I can even remember the Canonburys being there which makes the error worse. I think they were only demolished late seventies or maybe even early eighties.I blame Old Maps and their change so that users are unable to zoom in on a particular location.The greyhound stadium opened in 1928 according to Leodis (and Secret Leeds in other threads) so unless something else was built between 1921 and 1928 the stadium was constucted on vacant land, either farmers fields or allotment space.

Derculees

Post by Derculees »

Thankyou for your welcome and your prompt response to my question re Elland Rd. G/h/stadium. Yes it's going to be the new Police HQ.
Touch not but the glove

book

Post by book »

That's amazing because they are building a significant police site just off the M1 J41 Carr Gate
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

volvojack

Re: Fullerton Greyhound Track

Post by volvojack »

After leaving School 1950 i took a job as one of the Kennel Lads at Elland Road Greyhound Stadium. This was a Licenced N.G.R.C. track unlike The one at Parkside and at Whitwood Pontefract. The Elland Road animals lived on the Track and each Lad was assigned Six greyhounds. I had to let each one out in turn into the Paddock whilst i replaced the Sawdust in their Kennel. Fortunately their Straw beds did not require Changing, only once in a while. After their Breakfast i would put the leads on them and off we would go. Along up Elland Road to Gildersome Crossroads, along Brittania Road, down through Dewsbury Road and back to the Track. This we would do rain or shine, the only exception being when one of my dogs was Racing that evening.
Must say the animals loved that hike but as i wore wearing Wellingtons when i arrived home about 3.30. my Mother would make me take a Bath.
( Some More To Come )
Last edited by volvojack on Mon 04 Jun, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

volvojack

Re: Fullerton

Post by volvojack »

Working as a Kennel Lad 1950 the dogs that were entered in that evenings racing which was on a Saturday and from memory Monday were kennelled away from their normal place and each entrant, plus a reserve dog were weighed with an Official Member of the N.G.R.C. present at about !2.30. and weighed again about 6.30pm. and if the weight varied much (?) they were withdrawn. We got extra pay for donning white coats and walking the dogs each in their numbered over slip. As the first bend was so acute there was No number Three because of disruption and possible injury.At the end of each race (about 500 yards) in under 30 seconds the Imitation Hare was sprung from the rail and the Greyhounds, even though wearing a wire muzzle would not let go easily. Normally a lovely natured animal they certainly could not wait to race.
Never knew anyof any cheating, although i don't suppose a 15 year old Lad would get to know. I did hear that the man up in the box who controlled the speed of the "Hare" could take it a bit faster causing the leading dog to lose
some interest.
(Just a bit more to come)