Fullerton Greyhound Track

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
sara_loubelou

Post by sara_loubelou »

I've just been talking to my grandad about going to watch the greyhound races this weekend for my birthday and he told me some fantastic family history that might be of interest to alot of people on here.His dad John O'Donnell (1888-1949) entered a competition in the late 1920's/early 1930's to name the new Greyhound track that was to open (and as we understand rival the existing track that was opposite). His submitted the name 'Fullerton' (after a famous Greyhound from the late 1800's) and this won. His prize was 2 Greyhound dogs but from what we know as money was tight he was unable to keep the dogs.The race track is no longer there but I understand there is still the Fullerton Carpark at the Football Stadium.If anyone knows anymore about this or has access to the original newspaper article we would love to hear from you. Also, my grandparents are full of knowledge and stories about Leeds (East Leeds, the City Centre and the Catholic community especially) if anyone would like to chat to them.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Check it out herehttp://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Leeds.htm
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Si

Post by Si »

sara_loubelou wrote: John O'Donnell (1888-1949) entered a competition in the late 1920's/early 1930's to name the new Greyhound track that was to open. He submitted the name 'Fullerton' and this won. The race track is no longer there but I understand there is still the Fullerton Carpark at the Football Stadium. Hi Sara,It's interesting that the speedway track is called Fullerton Park on Buffaloskinner's link, and the greyhound track (over the road) is just labelled the Leeds Greyhound Racing Track. Presumably John O'Donnell's track wasn't as successful, and was converted to speedway use in 1928?    

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

This is a little confusing - and what I know may raise more questions than answers!The Greyhound track many of us remember, including myself - although I only ever went to one meeting, was on Elland Road of course, on the eastern side - opposite the Football ground. As far as I know this was called Leeds Greyhound Stadium or Elland Road Greyhound Stadium-it was certainly not Fullerton Park.Fullerton Park was on the other side of Elland Road - ie the same side as the football ground , just to the south of it. This area is now car parking and is used for the valentines day fair. I remember when it had football pitches on it, but no stands. it was used as training grounds by Leeds United and was still referred to as Fullerton Park. Previous to that (up to the 1930s) it had been a stadium that was used for speedway, but struggled to pay its way. I can only assume that before the speedway this ground must have been used for Greyhound racing before the building of the other greyhound stadium on the oppisite side of Elland Road.Hope this makes sense, and thanks for the info Sara Ps from the link posted by Buffaloskinner I see that the owners of the ground called themselves 'Fullerton Sports Stadium ltd' suggesting that they at least intented to stage more than one type of sport.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Si

Post by Si »

I think you're right, Drapesy, except that the dog track over the road from Fullerton Park was presumably there first, and was ultimately more successful?    

Si

Post by Si »

Having done a little digging on Google, I can't find anything about dog racing at Fullerton Park, except a comment from one Parksider on an August 2010 Secret Leeds thread, where he says, "I haven't researched this much, but I do believe Fullerton Park also did greyhound racing (there was I think more than one governing body) and near Hunslet's Parkside was "Parkside sports stadium" also a greyhound venue."

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

I like the sound of 1930 Leeds.A dog track.Speedway.And recently opened Lewis's.... mmmmm

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Some conflicting memories on this too:http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... _1_2268697

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The talk of greyhound racing reminded me that I used to go to the Leeds Greyhound Stadium on the other side of Leeds United's Elland Road Football Ground. I'm fairly sure that it must have been at least 50 years back. Unfortunately I only have vague memories of the stadium but oddly one of my stronger such memories is of watching the races while having a mug of tea and some food from a cafe/snack bar! Does anyone else recall a cafe/snack bar there or is my memory wrong?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.