Tower off Crown Point Bridge,Whats that all about?

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Hi Leodian, sorry but I cant see any picture you have posted, what do you mean the windows are bricked up, is there no longer glass / window frames in the windows at the top of the chimney? I doubt the Regent Housing Society plaque is referring to the tower as having been built in 1987, its clearly a lot older than that.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

jonleeds wrote: Hi Leodian, sorry but I cant see any picture you have posted, what do you mean the windows are bricked up, is there no longer glass / window frames in the windows at the top of the chimney? I doubt the Regent Housing Society plaque is referring to the tower as having been built in 1987, its clearly a lot older than that. Hi jonleeds. You will have to click on the red cross to see each image (one of the foibles of the SL site ). I agree with you that the date on the plaque is unlikley to be that when the tower was built, as it will be that when the area was converted to homes.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Hi Leodian, thanks I have been able to see them now, I cant see a red cross, but a line of text that says 'Submit Query', I have had trouble posting photos on the Secret Leeds forum before and I have found that you need to use the image open / close html tags - see:Its a bit of nuisance but once you get your head round it then it becomes easier, I just store the html code and copy and paste it then just change the name of the picture file and it seems to work ok.I know what you mean about this 1987 date, although I do seem to recall this was about the time that these 'trendy' waterfront flats started appearing, I think the first ones were at the side of Leeds Bridge and then they worked down towards where the Royal Armories is today and include the high-rise monstrosities that have started to dominate this once charmingly old fashioned area of the city. Its makes me laugh that the majority of these apartments are lying empty as they were bought by people as an investment which they thought would just go up and up in value. Apparently this hasnt been the case for a lot of people and they've ended up having to cut their losses and sell much cheaper than what they originally paid. Anyway thats another story.    
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

jonleeds wrote: Hi Leodian, thanks I have been able to see them now, I cant see a red cross, but a line of text that says 'Submit Query', I have had trouble posting photos on the Secret Leeds forum before and I have found that you need to use the image open / close html tags - see:Its a bit of nuisance but once you get your head round it then it becomes easier, I just store the html code and copy and paste it then just change the name of the picture file and it seems to work ok.I know what you mean about this 1987 date, although I do seem to recall this was about the time that these 'trendy' waterfront flats started appearing, I think the first ones were at the side of Leeds Bridge and then they worked down towards where the Royal Armories is today and include the high-rise monstrosities that have started to dominate this once charmingly old fashioned area of the city. Its makes me laugh that the majority of these apartments are lying empty as they were bought by people as an investment which they thought would just go up and up in value. Apparently this hasnt been the case for a lot of people and they've ended up having to cut their losses and sell much cheaper than what they originally paid. Anyway thats another story.     That embeds an address into the message and assumes your pivtures are hosted other than sitting on uyour PC as you know johnny - out of intrest, what browser are you using? Secret Leeds has a complete phobia about everything except IE for picture posting ad attachments - doubt it will ever be rectified

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Hi SteveI am using Firefox 7.0.1, I havent used IE for years now as I prefer the Firefox interface. Am I seeing more / less than somebody who is using Internet Explorer would? I naturally assume that everyone is familiar with uploading pictures to the free webspace you get from your ISP - in my case Virginmedia, but thats cos I have been doing it for years as I host pictures for my ebay sales. I guess not everyone is aware of how all this works, I mean even I struggle occasionally! What is the problem with Secret Leeds and non IE browsers, is there some compatibility issues?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

jonleeds wrote: Hi SteveI am using Firefox 7.0.1, I havent used IE for years now as I prefer the Firefox interface. Am I seeing more / less than somebody who is using Internet Explorer would? I naturally assume that everyone is familiar with uploading pictures to the free webspace you get from your ISP - in my case Virginmedia, but thats cos I have been doing it for years as I host pictures for my ebay sales. I guess not everyone is aware of how all this works, I mean even I struggle occasionally! What is the problem with Secret Leeds and non IE browsers, is there some compatibility issues? It's been looked at but a fix has not been found/made - could be a funding issue maybe, don't really know but the software just seems to have an near exclusive love affar with IE - despite its shortcomings. I don't see it changing.Like many I generally uise flickr but don't want everything up there so like to load from the PC. We have a wide cross-section of users with varying familiarity of the technology co perhaps not everyone is comfortable with other approaches - good to see though that there is always plenty of understanding help for folk in need.

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Any news on the tower anyone? seems to have been forgotten about.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Here is an early pic from the 60s of the tower, before it became part of the Chandlers.
Attachments
__TFMF_qskg1c24iqfsgx45ahghnobt_fa23687c-02df-4e31-ace5-b985a64241dd_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_qskg1c24iqfsgx45ahghnobt_fa23687c-02df-4e31-ace5-b985a64241dd_0_main.jpg (91.71 KiB) Viewed 2054 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

sorry buffaloskinner, all i can see is a picture of the roadside of the chandlers with a small bit of the tower poking above the building... Should that be it?

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Hi JonLeeds, yes thats it. Not much to see but I believed that some people believed that it was built along with the Chandlers whereas that block on Crown Point has been there over a century.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?