Kirkgate House?

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is a photo I took on August 19 2011 that shows the overgrown area next to Kirkgate House (part of that is visible on the left). I thought (hope!) this photo may be of interest as it shows some interesting looking buildings which may (or may not be) old.    
Attachments
__TFMF_0b4hru55wbsyvu4550mulh45_b0044791-d09a-4fc9-bb36-51892d24015a_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_0b4hru55wbsyvu4550mulh45_b0044791-d09a-4fc9-bb36-51892d24015a_0_main.jpg (702.75 KiB) Viewed 3914 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Thanks Nina, It's just a bit of research to find these places Glad to have helped answer your question. I think you've photographed one of the very old parts of Leeds there Leodian. I like that area, it's pretty peaceful, sitting outside the Palace with a nice pint even more relaxing of course
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cheers Phill. Enjoy your pint(s) at The Palace. PS. In information that I've seen it states The Palace is very old as it dates back to 1741 and was first recorded as an inn in 1841. Clearly a survivor (also with a nice Melbourne sign on the side facing the Parish Church!).

Leodian

Re: Kirkgate House?

Post by Leodian »

Whenever I've seen Kirkgate House an outer door has always been shut so it was a surprise when I was on Church Row today (April 28 2015) to see that door was open, revealing an inner door. Noticing also that the windows high up were all wide open I wonder if the building was being looked at for possible use. The first photo shows the outer door frame with the internal door visible. The second is a general view of Kirkgate House in which the open windows can be seen. The third photo is a zoomed-in one of some nice decorative tiles (?) high up (? Burmantofts tiles). I did not go in as there was nobody outside to ask if I could pop in for a look and I did not dare try to go in uninvited in case I could be accused of trespassing (assuming the inner door was not locked and also that there were people inside).
Attachments
View of the open outside doorway of Kirkgate House on Church Row (taken April 28 2015).
View of the open outside doorway of Kirkgate House on Church Row (taken April 28 2015).
005R.jpg (128.39 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
Kirkgate House seen from Church Row (taken April 28 2015).
Kirkgate House seen from Church Row (taken April 28 2015).
015R.jpg (155.76 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
Nice decorative tiles (?) high up on Kirkgate House (taken April 28 2015).
Nice decorative tiles (?) high up on Kirkgate House (taken April 28 2015).
016R.jpg (138.39 KiB) Viewed 3882 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is a close-in view taken April 28 2015 of the internal doorway (I did not post it with the other 3 photos as only up to 3 can be put in one post). Note the various tiles.
Attachments
The internal door at Kirkgate House (taken April 28 2015).
The internal door at Kirkgate House (taken April 28 2015).
014R.jpg (89.53 KiB) Viewed 3868 times

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

It seems that they are going to be apartments in Kirkgate House which I think will compliment the restoration of 1 Church Row etc

https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/onlin ... RZ0JB17S00

http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/yorkshire/124139-/

Yeah that would be good. The old Hoover spare shop opposite is being converted into a bar/restaurant with flats above.

If only the council could promote the improvement of lower Kirkgate with something concrete with regards the future of the White Cloth Hall.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

uncle mick wrote:It seems that they are going to be apartments in Kirkgate House which I think will compliment the restoration of 1 Church Row etc

https://publicaccess.leeds.gov.uk/onlin ... RZ0JB17S00

http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/yorkshire/124139-/

Yeah that would be good. The old Hoover spare shop opposite is being converted into a bar/restaurant with flats above.

If only the council could promote the improvement of lower Kirkgate with something concrete with regards the future of the White Cloth Hall.
Cheers uncle mick for that interesting information :). It's good to see that the building may no longer be simply left unused to gradually deteriorate.

As for the White Cloth site despite it geting occasional mentions in the local news nothing seems to ever actually happen. As there does seem to be little left to save I suspect that in due course your wish that the council will do "something concrete" about its future may turn out to be that it is concreted over!

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

There's something strange going on, I did not post

What's happening ??? :shock:

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Mick i think i know what happened.

It was me going on about Lower Kirkgate but i must have clicke dth "Edit" icon instead of reply,hence the bit that appears which you did not post.

Sorry!
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

cnosni wrote:Mick i think i know what happened.

It was me going on about Lower Kirkgate but i must have clicke dth "Edit" icon instead of reply,hence the bit that appears which you did not post.

Sorry!
Thanks for your reply cnosni. I was thinking to myself "How the flip did that happen" :lol: