POW Camps in Leeds

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Pudseyonline

Re: POW Camps in Leeds

Post by Pudseyonline »

When I was many years younger my friends and I used to play on this site at the top of post hill - running round the doorways and corridors of this concrete building or two

was set in a semi circle and the middle of a farmers field - we couldn't spend long there as we were always in fear of the farmer shooting us - as you had to cross the fence to get to it but we always knew it was here.

I fly drones now for photography and recently took a picture from the air as wouldn't jump the fence now I know better.
Its almost fully covered over by soil now

Its a shame the POW camp is almost unheard of now and post hill is hidden under overgrown trees, used to be visible from all over Pudsey as a yellow stone roaman road/hill.

Many happy memories

ps ill post the photo as soon as i find it- its not great a photo as it was many years ago before cameras in drones became amazing i might revisit and take another photo

Pudseyonline

Post by Pudseyonline »

POW Camp No 91 Italian and German Prisoners
POW Camp No 91 Italian and German Prisoners
post hill pow.JPG (381.01 KiB) Viewed 6500 times

sirw2

Post by sirw2 »

Hello everyone, realise this thread is fairly old so I may be out of luck on replies - but I'm currently working on an article about POW camps in Yorkshire and am looking for sources to chat about these camps - anyone who remembers them / had family members work/meet at them would be fantastic! Please do send a reply here or shoot an email over to [email protected] if this sounds like you. Cheers!

billy the buffalo

Post by billy the buffalo »

I did think that the top of post hill were an anti aircraft gun site

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

billy the buffalo wrote:
Fri 11 Oct, 2019 8:31 pm
I did think that the top of post hill were an anti aircraft gun site

A few online sources confirm it was both an anti aircraft gun site and a POW camp:

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk › your-leeds › wwii-leeds-bombin...

WWII Leeds bombing raid recalled - Yorkshire Evening Post
14 Mar 2011 - In Leeds, however, life pretty much carried on as normal. ... “When we heard the ack-ack guns at Post Hill (a local beauty spot between Pudsey ...

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

During world war two anti aircraft guns,barrage balloon winch sites and search lights were all sited on the high ground there to protect the area against the visiting Luftwaffe night bombers who were searching for the several factories who were making munitions,and many nights sleep was disturbed

https://westleedsdispatch.com/hometouri ... idden-gem/

During the war the top of Post Hill played an important role – an open prison camp was built and held Italian Prisoners of War, who were allowed to work for the local community but had to be back in camp for the evening curfew. The camp also housed two anti-aircraft guns – I still remember exploring the enormous concrete structures as a child in the late seventies before they were removed. Nothing remains of it now – the area is now a farmers field with horses and cows grazing.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

blackprince

Re:

Post by blackprince »

wiggy wrote:
Tue 26 Jun, 2007 7:34 pm
TomD wrote: ... I've been to post hill a few times, but I never gave it any thought.Perhaps there is a clue in the name, anyone know why its called "Post Hill"? .
This question was posed 12 years ago but as far as I know never answered.
The Yorkshire Post supported its use for motor sports in the 1920's hence the name.
Better late than never!
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

LeedsGloyt

Post by LeedsGloyt »

Bet that went down well bailing out with an enemy