Victoriagate/Eastgate Quarter Development

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Looking further back it now appears the Leeds pot hole pay and display was waste land as far back as 1928. That's not bad going really, only another 14 years and prime City Centre land nothing but waste ground for a whole century! Buildings on Bernard Street and Harewood Street prior to demolition in 1928. Cars parked on street. Photo from Leodis herehttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=24         Hang on Phill - they've not actually built anything yet and with the current bunch in charge who knows what might happen...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

It may make an ideal trolleybus depot site! In regard to Bernard Street in the Leodis photo I have not been able to find it named on looking at maps in the Old-Maps UK website. I would be grateful if someone could please state more exactly where it was and even show it on a map. Thanks.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Match the two photos up with the buildings at the top if you can Leo.The small road down the side of the building with the car and van seen here.Should be the very same road seen here. I've not looked at old maps yet myself, but I will get round to it. At a guess I'd say Bernard Street is either that small road we see on both photos, or possible it's not a yard, but another small road where Blakeys parked his Wolseley Sometimes very small roads aren't marked on the old maps I've noticed in the past. But I'm sure we'll find the lost road eventually.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

It's possible the Leodis description is wrong I think Leo.I can't see a Bernard Street either. The small road is Back George Street. I'm not sure what the road or yard was called at the end of Ebenezer St that ran to Union Lane yet. This is the 1891 map.
Attachments
zzzz20ca9c63_o.png
zzzz20ca9c63_o.png (124.16 KiB) Viewed 2370 times
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

1921 map.Here's a better view of the water tank construction to get your bearings with the street layouts.     
Attachments
7a676ada_o.png
7a676ada_o.png (112.13 KiB) Viewed 2370 times

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Thinking back to the 70's I can recall the old cobble roads and flag pavements in that mud car park. They seem to split the car park up into sections if I remember rightly. I'm sure there were metal barriers or railings along the old streets enclosing the parking spaces. Anyone else remember that? There still is evidence of the old brick wall remains of the older buildings in that area. Talking of pot holes in that area. A lad I used to work with had a Del Boy type 3 wheeler in the early 1980's. They seemed pretty popular at the time. Anyway he told us this tale how he used to pick his then girlfriend up at the market where she worked on a Saturday. He was a bit early this particular day, and he decided to ride around the market a few times instead of trying to park up and wait. He said he was going down George Street, and he says 'There was this cracking looking lass walking up the road, I couldn't take my eyes of her - she was gorgeous'' He went on to say 'It served me right for not looking where I was going *BOOM* I went down this massive pot hole with the front wheel. I didn't half feel a berk when the car stopped suddenly and I flew out of my seat and headbutted the windscreen He said everyone heard the windscreen bang and was laughing their heads off Later on some young ones tipped the car over, but that's another story more associated with Seacroft Town Centre                 
Attachments
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz853aae4_o.png
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz853aae4_o.png (189.44 KiB) Viewed 2370 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks Phill for the maps. The 1921 one shows an L-shaped yard behind Vicar Lane, off Harewood Street (it also shows what I'm unsure is but looks wide enough to be a blocked off road). The L-shaped yard still seems to be there and on passing on October 11 2013 I noticed its usually locked gate was open so I popped in to have a look. This photo shows the view looking across Harewood Street to the car park area. Note the possibly old cobbled area.
Attachments
012R.jpg
012R.jpg (89.34 KiB) Viewed 2370 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This photo (taken October 11 2013) shows a view looking along the long part of the L-shaped yard. The building to the rear will likely be where the blocked road-like feature would have been. It's always interesting to look inside areas that are normally locked off.PS. Note the hanging boots!!!
Attachments
010R.jpg
010R.jpg (117.27 KiB) Viewed 2370 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

A better view of the hanging boots, looking the other way!     
Attachments
011R.jpg
011R.jpg (104.08 KiB) Viewed 2370 times

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Thinking back to the 70's I can recall the old cobble roads and flag pavements in that mud car park. They seem to split the car park up into sections if I remember rightly. I'm sure there was metal barriers or railings along the old streets enclosing the parking spaces. Anyone else remember that? There still is evidence of the old brick wall remains of the older buildings in that area.          I do, and parts of it were still like that in the late 80's as I used to have to go to Union Street on a semi-regular basis for work and parked in the area. I'm not sure when it was finally resurfaced into what is effectively one big car park, but I can distinctly remember the palaver of having to drive into several small enclosed areas looking for a space - or of spotting a space and not being able to get to it...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell