Burley Bar Stone - and the rest

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Re: Burley Bar Stone - and the rest

Post by Leodian »

I took this photo showing the North Bar Stone on September 6 2016. It's sad to see it in its current state. It makes me wonder if it might soon get covered over again?
NorthBarStoneSept062016.jpg
NorthBarStoneSept062016.jpg (129.69 KiB) Viewed 7029 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

According to a report on page 19 of the Yorkshire Evening Post today (October 25 2017) a blue plaque is to be unveiled on Monday (so October 30 2017) at the North Bar stone on "the old bus station" which is on Vicar Lane but the report does not mention that.

tilly

Post by tilly »

I had a look at the North Bar stone to day 20/10 2017 i must say it looks in a sorry state you would think they could put a frame with toughened glass over it for protection. They could have done this at the at the same time as putting up the plaque this would have given people something to see without more erosion taking place.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is a photo showing the North Bar Stone that I photographed on October 26 2017. Comparing it to that which I took on September 6 2016 (posted on Sept 7 2016) the only obvious change is on the left where I see you can have a 'Back, Neck frozen & Shoulder 30mins £35' and a 'Traditional Thai massage 60mins £45'. ;)
NorthBarStoneVicarLaneLeedsOct262017..jpg
NorthBarStoneVicarLaneLeedsOct262017..jpg (126.7 KiB) Viewed 6521 times

tilly

Post by tilly »

How i see it is you only have to have some no brainer with a warped mind and a hammer and the stone will be passed restoration it needs some protection We have lost enough history in the name of progress in Leeds over the passed thirty years or so its about time we looked after what little we have left. :oops: :oops: :oops:
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

https://www.facebook.com/leedscivictrus ... =3&theater

Blue Plaque Ceremony
North Bar.jpg
North Bar.jpg (132.25 KiB) Viewed 6425 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

These are 2 photos that I took today (Oct 31 2017). The first shows the North Bar blue plaque location and the second is a zoomed-in view of the blue plaque.
NorthBarAndBluePlaqueLocationVicarLaneLeedsOct312017..jpg
NorthBarAndBluePlaqueLocationVicarLaneLeedsOct312017..jpg (120.31 KiB) Viewed 6411 times
NorthBarBluePlaqueVicarLaneLeedsOct312017..jpg
NorthBarBluePlaqueVicarLaneLeedsOct312017..jpg (148.44 KiB) Viewed 6411 times
PS. I see the Happy Hour and the Coffee & Cake signs have gone and also the notices about the personal services ;).

polos

Post by polos »

Well I've no idea how I missed this for so long but apparently a blue plaque was unveiled in 2015 marking the site of the south bar.
http://openplaques.org/plaques/40140

I think that's them all covered now

mark1978

Post by mark1978 »

Question: how do they know that's where the South Bar was?

Going back through this thread, none of us have been able to find any hard evidence of its location, and indeed there seems to have been some suggestion that it was actually at the other end of the bridge...

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

mark1978 wrote:Question: how do they know that's where the South Bar was?

Going back through this thread, none of us have been able to find any hard evidence of its location, and indeed there seems to have been some suggestion that it was actually at the other end of the bridge...
Hi mark1978 :).

I don't know if it is correct or not but in the Leeds Civic Trust website it states (my underlining) "Originally, there were six town bars. Moving in a clockwise direction they were; the North Bar on Vicar Lane, between Lady Lane and Templar Street; the East Bar, or York Bar, at the end of Kirkgate by the Parish Church; the South Bar on the south side of Leeds Bridge; the West Bar towards the City Square end of Boar Lane; Burley Bar on the Headrow by Albion Street; and Woodhouse Bar sited at the bottom of Woodhouse Lane, in Dortmund Square".