Burley Bar Stone - and the rest

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Leodian wrote: chameleon wrote: Leeds Hippo wrote: dogduke wrote: Search Leodis for west AND bar,4 results whicshould be interesting including.Description:1907. Tinted postcard showing West Bar and postmarked '17th September 1907'. This is looking from City Square down Boar Lane. At the right edge the domed Yorkshire Banking Company Building can be seen, and Bishopgate Street is off to the right. Royal Exchange Chambers is visible at the left edge at the corner with Park Row. A blue plaque was unveiled in 1989 at the Bond Street Centre in Boar Lane. This marked the site of the original West Bar stone at the western border of medieval Leeds adjacent to the Manorial Park. There were five other boundary Bars; Burley Bar, Woodhouse Bar, North Bar, East or York Bar and South Bar. Thanks dogduke - when I searched I didn't find it - will use AND in future Somewhere in the depths of Secret Leeds Past is the location of every one of these, the North Bar was on the front of the old Red bus station on Vicar lane (still exists?) and the south bar is on the bridge in Lower Briggate. I recently had a look around the old West Riding Bus Depot area but I did not see anything that could be the North Bar, though it was only a cursory look around so I could have missed it if it is still there. The West Yorkshire Bus Station? As I remember the yellow sandstone marker was to the imediate right of the old stairs down from Vicar Lane to the bus station - surely THAT can't have gone - but then the skulls found a new home didn't they?

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

chameleon wrote: Leodian wrote: chameleon wrote: Leeds Hippo wrote: dogduke wrote: Search Leodis for west AND bar,4 results whicshould be interesting including.Description:1907. Tinted postcard showing West Bar and postmarked '17th September 1907'. This is looking from City Square down Boar Lane. At the right edge the domed Yorkshire Banking Company Building can be seen, and Bishopgate Street is off to the right. Royal Exchange Chambers is visible at the left edge at the corner with Park Row. A blue plaque was unveiled in 1989 at the Bond Street Centre in Boar Lane. This marked the site of the original West Bar stone at the western border of medieval Leeds adjacent to the Manorial Park. There were five other boundary Bars; Burley Bar, Woodhouse Bar, North Bar, East or York Bar and South Bar. Thanks dogduke - when I searched I didn't find it - will use AND in future Somewhere in the depths of Secret Leeds Past is the location of every one of these, the North Bar was on the front of the old Red bus station on Vicar lane (still exists?) and the south bar is on the bridge in Lower Briggate. I recently had a look around the old West Riding Bus Depot area but I did not see anything that could be the North Bar, though it was only a cursory look around so I could have missed it if it is still there. The West Yorkshire Bus Station? As I remember the yellow sandstone marker was to the imediate right of the old stairs down from Vicar Lane to the bus station - surely THAT can't have gone - but then the skulls found a new home didn't they? Not even a blue plaque! - I would have thought that all of the "Bars" would warrant that.

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

East Bar Blue Plaque - Kirkgate
Attachments
__TFMF_4d50uu3yz05mbeupv1yoiz45_affe691e-d079-41df-b024-614f850738b4_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_4d50uu3yz05mbeupv1yoiz45_affe691e-d079-41df-b024-614f850738b4_0_main.jpg (100.18 KiB) Viewed 2172 times

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

West Bar Plaque, Bond Street
Attachments
__TFMF_4d50uu3yz05mbeupv1yoiz45_c5cb24df-3658-463d-962d-01edb3d25c5c_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_4d50uu3yz05mbeupv1yoiz45_c5cb24df-3658-463d-962d-01edb3d25c5c_0_main.jpg (65.67 KiB) Viewed 2172 times

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

Burley Bar Plaque - Headrow The other 3 ....?
Attachments
__TFMF_4d50uu3yz05mbeupv1yoiz45_5c16f1e2-9a82-4c66-8477-c1017569629b_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_4d50uu3yz05mbeupv1yoiz45_5c16f1e2-9a82-4c66-8477-c1017569629b_0_main.jpg (79.83 KiB) Viewed 2172 times

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Popped into Leeds&Holbeck (now Leeds) and the Burley Bar stone is a bit 'sorry'. I have hopefully att'd a map of 1500 Leeds Town showing A.Burley BarB. Woodhouse BarC. North BarD. East BarE. South BarF. West BarPage 40 of isbn 1859831508 YEP 'memory lane, second look' shows Vicar Lane 13 April 1937 "..This workman was cementing into position in the wall of a new building on the lane, the old North Bar stone which was taken from the former building on the site - the old Leeds Workhouse - before it was demolished.." Photo shows stone in good order but close up and doesn't say which new build.Does anyone know where the others are?

polo

Post by polo »

The bar stones have always fascinated me unless this has already been solved I can put it to rest if my source is accurate. It would seem only 3 of the 6 stones are still in existance with the elusive stone at the bus station hiding behind a wooden board. here is the article I found hope this helps                                                 weavingsandunpickings.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/leedsterminalia/

LS1

Post by LS1 »

polo wrote:      The bar stones have always fascinated me unless this has already been solved I can put it to rest if my source is accurate. It would seem only 3 of the 6 stones are still in existance with the elusive stone at the bus station hiding behind a wooden board. here is the article I found hope this helps                                                 weavingsandunpickings.wordpress.com/2012/06/07/leedsterminalia/ It's not behind the board unfortunately. I managed to move it forward enough to look behind and it's just wall I'm afraid     

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

chameleon wrote: The West Yorkshire Bus Station? As I remember the yellow sandstone marker was to the imediate right of the old stairs down from Vicar Lane to the bus station - surely THAT can't have gone - but then the skulls found a new home didn't they? If I understand the location you are referring to correctly there is a disintegrated block at the bottom of the stairs that I cannot tell whether it is concrete or stone -- it's that disintegrated and I don't know the materials well enough. Is it possible this is what remains of the bar stone? I think it's about the right size -- otherwise I suspect it's an old fire hydrant marker.Edit: I just tried to find what I'm referring to on street view but sadly there's a pedestrian blocking what might otherwise be a view of it:http://goo.gl/maps/J90DOIt is on the other side of the wall to the road behind the guy in the middle of the picture.

polo

Post by polo »

did u go on the link I provided I think I forgot to put www. first. The article shows a group of people stood in front of it.