Burley Bar Stone - and the rest

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

There is a Greystone Pasture in Harewood Estate, not far from the Emmerdale Village set. To the top of the field there is a large rock known as the Greystone. The rock is easily seen from a public path (that coming from the A61 at the junction with Wike Road) but I understand that access to the rock is not allowed. I don't know however if this Greystone has any relevance to the thread (probably not).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Leodian wrote: There is a Greystone Pasture in Harewood Estate, not far from the Emmerdale Village set. To the top of the field there is a large rock known as the Greystone. The rock is easily seen from a public path (that coming from the A61 at the junction with Wike Road) but I understand that access to the rock is not allowed. I don't know however if this Greystone has any relevance to the thread (probably not). It's always worth mentioning something of interest Leodian, whether it turns out to be of relevance or not, as it can also spark comments from others. For example, I didn't know any Greystones this morning and now I know of three! If the one you mention also turns out to be a boundary stone, it's definitely of relevance to the thread

polo

Post by polo »

Tasa wrote: polo wrote: On the subject of ancient stones anyone heard of the pawdmire and greystone ? They are both mentioned as "lost" in the Heritage Assessment Report for Millgarth Police Station and are described as boundary stones near St Peter's Church (now Leeds Minster). This is the link to the full document but I've also pasted the relevant paragraph below. "The Site" refers to Millgarth.http://alturl.com/ean56The report includes some good maps of the area - most can be found online in the public domain but there is a Fire Insurance map from 1902 which I've not seen before."Further records of medieval activity are located to the south and west of the Site and include a market cross, reported by Thoresby, as standing on Briggate to the west of the site [2422]. This was rebuilt in the eighteenth century, but was demolished by 1864. Boundary stones named as Pawdmire Stone and Greystone lay near to St. Peter’s Church to the south of the Site, both of which are now lost [2510]. A stone-built oven, possibly that of Leeds Manor, was discovered by workmen clearing buildings on Kirkgate, to the west of the Site, in the nineteenth century [3443]." I've also seen another reference to Greystone, which is part of a myth relating to Armley. It's covered in some online history books (search Google books for Armley Giant or Giant's Hill) but is also featured in this YEP article:http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 1-2767321A photo of the stone purporting to be the Greystone was taken in 2007 and added to Geograph UK - it was in a poor way at the time, covered in graffiti. I've never seen it myself but suspect it to be somewhere round the back of Rosebank Primary School on Burley Road - possibly it's been obliterated by the new buildings around there. It doesn't look worth a trip, judging by the photo!http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/347319 Haha i cant beleive this ive only gone and found a greystone (says its an ancient by stone guessing boundary)Its on burley road near where the burley lawn school would be.http://maps.nls.uk/view/102344959

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Nicely spotted polo. I wonder if it is what is now called the Burley Bar Stone? If so it is now on display in the Leeds Building Society Head Office on The Headrow.

polo

Post by polo »

Leodian wrote: Nicely spotted polo. I wonder if it is what is now called the Burley Bar Stone? If so it is now on display in the Leeds Building Society Head Office on The Headrow. Im pretty sure they would be different stones as the burley barr was the boundary of the old manorial borough.The greystone seems a bit too far out. Anymore info on this one would be great

innocentis

Post by innocentis »

One more source to confirm the agreed location of the North Bar:Image provided by Leeds City Council to Hammerson to clarify position of the North Bar prior to demolition of the red bus station so that contractors can be made aware, protect and remove the stone for future re-instatement.    
Attachments
WP_20140703_002.jpg
WP_20140703_002.jpg (390.13 KiB) Viewed 2951 times

polo

Post by polo »

WOW that photo is the missing link wish someone wouldve had this earlier lol

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Based on the informative photo posted by innocentis that would place the Burley Bar stone in the white facing immediately right of the lamppost in this Google Street View image. Even the ventilator fits and the wall of the building to the left. I just hope the stone really is behind the facing and has not been lost at some stage.
Attachments
PosBurBarStoneLoc.jpg
PosBurBarStoneLoc.jpg (146.83 KiB) Viewed 2951 times

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

innocentis wrote: One more source to confirm the agreed location of the North Bar:Image provided by Leeds City Council to Hammerson to clarify position of the North Bar prior to demolition of the red bus station so that contractors can be made aware, protect and remove the stone for future re-instatement.     Well done innocentis, glad to have you onboard especilly with your first post being such an important one. So do you work for Hammerson?
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Great contribution innocentis, thanks for posting!
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.