Burley Bar Stone - and the rest

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

polo wrote: did u go on the link I provided I think I forgot to put www. first. The article shows a group of people stood in front of it. http://weavingsandunpickings.wordpress. ... nalia/This should send you to it    

polo

Post by polo »

yeah thanks I think that pretty much covers all the stones in there

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

polo wrote: did u go on the link I provided I think I forgot to put www. first. The article shows a group of people stood in front of it. My apologies, last time I read this thread I did so from my phone so missed the photos in the attached article.Thanks for that.

book

Post by book »

What does Bar mean in this context? Eg Tingley Bar?
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

Caron

Post by Caron »

This seems a good thread to ask my question (hopefully).East, West, North Riding I have heard of since my childhhod but I have never heard of a South Riding. Was there one? Oh yeh, and what were/are the wapentakes? Never heard the word until I joined SL.Thanks.    

polo

Post by polo »

I think it means boundary

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Caron wrote: This seems a good thread to ask my question (hopefully).East, West, North Riding I have heard of since my childhhod but I have never heard of a South Riding. Was there one? Thanks. Only on the telly

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

BarFly wrote: chameleon wrote: The West Yorkshire Bus Station? As I remember the yellow sandstone marker was to the imediate right of the old stairs down from Vicar Lane to the bus station - surely THAT can't have gone - but then the skulls found a new home didn't they? If I understand the location you are referring to correctly there is a disintegrated block at the bottom of the stairs that I cannot tell whether it is concrete or stone -- it's that disintegrated and I don't know the materials well enough. Is it possible this is what remains of the bar stone? I think it's about the right size -- otherwise I suspect it's an old fire hydrant marker.Edit: I just tried to find what I'm referring to on street view but sadly there's a pedestrian blocking what might otherwise be a view of it:http://goo.gl/maps/J90DOIt is on the other side of the wall to the road behind the guy in the middle of the picture. BarflyI've never found it, and don't recall seeing it when it was bus stationHere's the photo I had and I'll edit the script back in below:-Image=[dead link]Vicar Lane 13 April 1937 "..This workman............. the old North Bar stone which was taken from the former building on the site - the old Leeds Workhouse - before it was demolished.."There was a flight of steps down into the station from approx oppo Harrison St, I assumed them. Maybe it is the small flight on Lady Ln. Uncle MickI read the link. Doesn't tally with 1937 photo.    
Attachments
__TFMF_0jf3p3451gumqg20kkbhb355_4cd1613f-74f0-4190-88b8-c445ff6154a4_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_0jf3p3451gumqg20kkbhb355_4cd1613f-74f0-4190-88b8-c445ff6154a4_0_main.jpg (202.46 KiB) Viewed 2378 times

Caron

Post by Caron »

uncle mick wrote: Caron wrote: This seems a good thread to ask my question (hopefully).East, West, North Riding I have heard of since my childhhod but I have never heard of a South Riding. Was there one? Thanks. Only on the telly Lol..I remember that prog. That's how my question has come about actually as my mam used to say, "There wasn't a South Riding", every time it came on. Here I am many years later asking the question to satisfy my curiosity.Why wasn't/isnt there a South Riding?What are the wapentakes?    

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Caron wrote: uncle mick wrote: Caron wrote: This seems a good thread to ask my question (hopefully).East, West, North Riding I have heard of since my childhhod but I have never heard of a South Riding. Was there one? Thanks. Only on the telly Lol..I remember that serial. That's how my question has come about actually as my mam used to say, "There wasn't a South Riding", every time it came on. Here I am many years later asking the question to satisfy my curiosity.Why wasn't/isnt there a South Riding?What are the wapentakes?     http://www.yorkshirecdbooks.com/Tana/wryorks/wapen.htmI think riding means a "third", so you can't have 4 ridings